Thursday, January 3, 2008

Ultra Good News from Our Ultrasound!

Today we had a higher level ultrasound scheduled since I'm considered "high risk" because Joshua had health issues in the womb. When we specifically requested Dr. Bayliss since we were so impressed with him before, we were told that they don't schedule you with a certain doctor. I prayed and prayed that we would see Dr. Bayliss since the other guy didn't seem to know anything about lung issues...and my prayers were answered!

Mom was gracious enough to come to our house at 8 am this morning so Shawn & I could both see the ultrasound and ask any necessary questions. Our appointment was for 8:30, but they didn't take us back until after 9 am. The ultrasound tech told us that they had brand new equipment that was state-of-the-art. Dr. Bayliss said these machines had only been introduced to the world within the last month (and to their office within the last week or so) and they give much clearer images because they are considered to be more digital. The tech told me she didn't see any dermoid cysts but said she would "send in the troops."

When Dr. Bayliss came in, we were relieved and all but clapped to see him. He told us that it was absolutely ridiculous that the first ultrasound showed "dermoid cysts" since dermoids can't be diagnosed via ultrasound - they're only diagnosed when they're under the scope. So, he said if anything we were just looking for cysts at this point. And, he said there were no cysts on either ovary. He said cysts are not something that 'come and go' they are something that 'stay and grow.' So, he's confident that I don't have any cysts. Something that he thought they might have seen that showed up lighter on the screen was actually a blood vessel.

Dr. Bayliss also told us that it's too early to see the lungs clearly, but taking measurements today would show whether or not we had a "likelihood" of gestational problems. The measurements he took were reassuring that everything should be okay. However, CCAMS have nothing to do with these measurements, but he did have one family with three children with CCAMS, so he's not convinced that it isn't something hereditary. He just thinks more research has to be done.

He also told us that women who experience preeclampsia have a 25% chance of reoccurance so he suggested I take a calcium supplement and one low-dose aspirin a day in addition to my prenatal vitamins to decrease the risk. I questioned him on the aspirin and he told me about every study that's been published and the findings - most of which is slightly over my head, but basically that he's a doctor who knows what he's talking about and studies the latest research, etc. I completely trust him - he's even well-known and respected at CHOP.

The baby looked bigger on screen than what I was expecting and the wand was higher than I was expecting for how far along I am. It was sooo cool to see the baby and his or her little arms and legs and head and nose, etc. I loved it. I can't believe we're going to have another baby in six months! It's hard to fathom.

Dr. Bayliss also cracked a couple of jokes while we were there (calling himself Dr. Phil since his first name is Philip and also telling me he took too much blood and would I like the extra back, etc.) and also asked us about how Joshua was doing. We just love Dr. Bayliss and don't think much of his partner, so I felt really blessed that he did our ultrasound. We scheduled our next one for Feb. 15 (we should know what we're having then, hopefully!!!) and he wants to do another one six weeks later (if all is well with that one) to closely monitor the lung development of our next child. BUT, so far everything looks very good and very healthy with this one and I don't have any tumors on my ovaries. Praise GOD!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys! Those must be some machines - I can't believe how clear the fingers and toes look on that picture. No really, do you have a real ultrasound picture of your baby to post? I would love to see him/her!
Kristen

Julie Garner said...

2008 really IS off to a GOOD start! I'm so excited for you and for Baby #2 to arrive. You'll find out the sex of your baby as I pack my bags for the hospital. I can't believe it! It's only 50 some days for us until our world is rocked once again. We bought Jude a baby doll tonight. He loves it! He took it to bed with him as if it was Blue Dog. (I guess I should post this on my own blog, huh?)

Love you, Friend!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I was praying that your cysts would not grow, and then I thought pray for God to remove them. And He did! Looking forward to a new grandchild to love, Grandma