Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pumpkin Carving!

We did our pumpkin carving this year on Tuesday, October 7. I know how early that is in the season, but I also knew how busy our calendar was and decided that it was as good of a night to do it as any. We drove to a farm one of the previous days and found pumpkins for $1. Perfect! :)
I went online and found some templates for carving. First, Daddy cut the tops off and the boys and I worked at getting the goo out of the inside. Well, I mostly worked on it because Ryan and Caleb wanted NOTHING to do with getting their hands dirty. Joshua was actually a big help this year. Caleb would separate some of the seeds for me if I got him a big pile. But, for the most part, it was Joshua and me scooping out the mush and separating the seeds for my favorite fall snack.

After the pumpkins were gutted, we taped the pictures on. We had gotten a free carving knife specifically for pumpkins that lived up to the price we paid. ;-)
Caleb modeled what a carved pumpkin should look like. Shawn asked if we didn't want to just do the typical "Jack-o-lantern" we always do. I said not this year. Instead we did a spider and Mario, since the boys LOVE Mario. I had also printed a Mickey Mouse, but he looked more complicated than the spider.
The boys thought they were fun! I did too! (Great job, Daddy!!!)
Of course I got a few pictures of the boys with the pumpkins. I love decorating for the various holidays!
After we carved the pumpkins, I let the boys pick out a little votif candle from my collection to add to them and we lit them up. Then we stuck them on the front porch where they rotted until we threw them out. :) :) :)
I also read to them the "Pumpkin Gospel" book that Mamaw & Papaw gave them. It's a cute read and reminds us how God cleans our sin out of us and puts His light within us to shine for others to see!
 After we cleaned up the mess, I roasted the pumpkin seeds, and they were delicious!
I love doing traditions with the kids. I hope they enjoy them as much as we do!

No comments: