Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Happy 63-Month Birthday, Caleb Luke!

Caleb Luke turned 63-months old on Tuesday, October 8. Caleb is one of the most creative kids I've ever met. Do you see the Mario he created in the picture above? He created each pant leg and shoe out of one sheet of white paper, then the body and arms, then the head and finally the hat. He drew it, colored them in, and then he cut them out. Then we worked together to take Mario to life - a much bigger version than if he would have just drawn him on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. This wasn't my idea at all. In fact, I was grading papers when he brainstormed and created his new paper doll friend.
Caleb enjoys playing with legos, too, and thinks about how structures are made. He'll count the "dots" on the legos to make sure he has the exact right one for the task. And something I love about him is that he doesn't get easily frustrated. Where Joshua will lose his cool and become impatient if he doesn't get it right the first time, Caleb will sit and analyze to figure out what needs to be improved and then fix it. He is SO smart! And easygoing! Have I mentioned recently how much my middle child is almost exactly a replica of his Daddy?
Caleb looked at the clock and it said 6:56. He said, "In 64 minutes, it will be bed time!" It's little things like this that I think "How is he only in preschool and comprehending time and quickly subtracting and adding like it's nothing?"

Caleb enjoys the "Froggy" books that we read. In the Halloween edition that we borrowed, Frogilina tried to kiss Froggy to turn him into her prince. I asked both boys what they would do if a girl tried to kiss them. Joshua quickly answered "Bleh! I'd punch them away!" Caleb quietly thought about it and said "I'd LOVE them!" Haaaaa!!! Like I said, he's the spitting image of his Daddy.

Caleb is the first one to mention that I look pretty in the morning or that he likes something I'm wearing. He also noticed when the library helper at his school (one of the moms from my Moms in Prayer group) straightened her hair. He said to me "She's still the same person, but her hair went from curly to straight. It's also darker." I hadn't even noticed the darker, but she confirmed his suspicion. He is VERY observant.

Caleb isn't as likely to sit with me and be still and play puzzle books. He has to be in the mood, but he still enjoys crafts and new challenges and at times when we'll still sit together and work on things - in his timing.

There's more I could write, but I should run. Happy 63-month birthday, Caleb Luke! :)

No comments: