Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Yard-ectomy

We spent this Memorial Day working on our overgrown jungle of a yard. I suggested we start tearing out the bushes-now-grown-into-trees and putting them on our driveway to determine the size of vehicle we'd need to get them to the yardwaste dump near our house, which thankfully takes all yard waste for Manheim Township residents and turns it into free mulch. Really, I was thinking we'd be doing more weeding, but my amazing husband started tearing down and out the yard, and I dragged it all to our driveway (so it wouldn't kill the grass). At first we just moved the Volvo and left my SUV in the driveway. Pretty soon, we realized we were going to need both sides and then some!Our neighbors came out to chat for awhile, and she said to me "So, I'm thinking a condo sounds good right about now..." Yep, it sounds good to me, too! Haaa!! Shawn got pretty beat up tearing all this out, and I washed away what little tan I thought I had gotten throughout the day; although my shoulders are a little pink.Our kids deserve a reward for being patient with us as we worked. They both played with toys (Joshua LOVES throwing the frisbee, and Caleb was trying to climb on the slide with little success) out back as we worked, but both were wanting more attention. I guess a day here or there won't kill them, but we both said last night how good they were even when we were busy. Here's my hottie husband doing yardwork.When we got a quote to do this work, it was going to be around $1,000 or more; and we knew we could do it ourselves. The guy told us that what we thought were trees were really overgrown bushes (that's how many years it's been since anyone trimmed this jungle). I feel like we no more than start one are of our house, and the other one starts coming up with a vengeance. But, I guess you have to start somewhere. We've been focused on the inside of our house, but this summer we figured it's time to start the outside.Shawn ripped out both trees in front of our laundry room window, the one bush that was starting to grow over our deck, part of a gigantic bush that was up against our covered porch (since that's how bugs can come into the house), one random 'tree' in the middle of our yard as you walk back, and one complete rainforest near our neighbor's fence. We still have another one to go, but our driveway is full (as you can see). We're borrowing a u-haul truck to take it out this weekend. These pictures aren't too good since it was really late when I took them, but you can get the idea of before and after...

The past several nights after working in the yard or playing outside, we've grilled out, and it's been awesome! We've eaten burgers and hot dogs and steaks and fresh fruit and I've made strawberry shortcake, etc. It definitely has felt like summer. So last night after we came inside, I put all Caleb's winter clothes away and dug out all his shorts. Today, it's cold again and rainy! Ugh!!! Hopefully the rain lets up so we can keep working on weeds!!!

No comments: