Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bye-bye, bumper!

This weekend we removed the bumper from Caleb's crib. He is heartbroken, to say the least. Since his first moments in the crib, we always gently laid him next to the bumper, which he would snuggle up to and stroke like it was the momma. This was very calming to him every night. But, lately he's been using this same bumper to step on and it makes him just tall enough that I'm terrified he'll be able to catapult himself out of the crib. So, I removed it, washed it and put it in the closet 'just in case we change our minds about another baby.'

Caleb has cried and cried and cried. He doesn't want to go to sleep at night, he doesn't want to nap and he's crying in the middle of the night again. I finally asked the pediatrician if it was okay to give him a blanket (since I forgot what age it's considered 'safe'), and she said that it was wise to remove the bumper and that he can also have a blanket now since he's strong enough to get to his feet and roll around, etc. So, Caleb now has his very own blankey. We got him a light green one since every blue one we picked out Joshua grabbed immediately as his own. But, the color difference signaled to Joshua that it belongs to Caleb. Unfortunately, Caleb has not fallen for the ol' switcharoo yet, but I'm hoping he gets used to it since it's exhausting that he won't sleep. My poor lil' buddy!

We also took away another comfort of his...his hair! He always strokes my hair and his as he's nursing, and he always puts his hands in his hair at dinner (which drives me crazy!). But, I didn't realize how calming that is to him until it also is gone, alas. All these changes at once! His little tuft of hair or mohalk is now gone and so is his bumper. My little boy is learning that things can change and still be good!

No comments: