Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy 21-month birthday, Joshua!

Happy 21-month birthday to my sweet Joshua! The day started when he cried at 4:30 am...I decided I needed to let him soothe himself back to sleep (after all, we're going to be having another one soon that I'll need to tend to). But, at 5:30 I simply couldn't take it anymore. An hour is long enough to be upset any day of the week. I picked up my tearful Bean and we cuddled. He was sooo cute and seemed so glad I came to his rescue. He kept softly talking to me. Eventually I put him back to bed, letting him know that I love him and even though the sun was up, he didn't need to be quite yet.After that, he woke up later than usual, not helping Daddy get ready this morning. He's been waking up before Daddy and then "helping" him with his morning routine. But, not today. The only problem was that I couldn't get back to sleep... bummer! I was tired but I couldn't get comfortable again. Whe he finally arose, we started off playing in the playroom. Joshua's favorite thing to do right now is be read to, I think. (Or he knows that I enjoy this as climbing and other activities are getting harder by the day as I seem to keep growing, unfortunately.) He especially likes books where he can lift the flap and turn the page. I'm impressed with his knowledge sometimes - he'll point to something and tell me what it is without me having said it first. While I know we've gone over these things in the past, it's interesting to see him develop, learn and remember.Also this morning as I changed his diaper and got him dressed, I started singing "Doe, a dear, a female dear..." and he started repeating certain words in the song to sing along. I loved it. Yesterday at Grandma's, he was very interested as we sang to him. I think he's at the point where he can start learning some little guy songs. Mostly when I sing to him at night, I sing worship music that I like. But, it's time to introduce him to songs for his age where he can sing (and do the hand motions).As you can tell from the above picture, it's time for another haircut. We've been putting it off because it's so cute when it's wild like this; and unfortunately when Daddy's cutting his hair, he moves around and we end up giving him a pretty short buzz. But, it should probably be done before the baby arrives. Since Joshua had slept in, when I put him down at his normal nap time, he talked and talked for half an hour. So, I got him out of bed and decided that maybe he didn't need the nap and we'd get an early bedtime. Then as he was eating his lunch and I was cleaning the baby's car seat, he fell asleep while eating. Literally the hand underneath the tablecloth has half an eaten cracker. I saw his eyelids looking heavy as he was drinking his milk but I never would have guessed he'd lean his head back and take a snooze right then and there. I had to grab the camera.Unfortunately, when I picked him up to take him upstairs, he woke up again. Sleep? He wanted nothing to do with it! Eventually I took him outside since they were (accurately) calling for rain later in the day. His schedule was all out of whack, which was strange for us both. Hopefully tonight he sleeps well throughout the entire night and we can get back on track tomorrow. When we don't get enough sleep, we're both a little cranky (believe it or not! ha!). I think Joshua's favorite part of the day is when he gets to play with Daddy. They wrestle and have quality time together, and Daddy is much more easygoing than Momma. Joshua can push his limits a little farther than mine. The picture below was taken by Daddy as they were tumbling in Joshua's new bedroom.
I'm sure there are other new things Joshua is doing or saying, but it's after 10 p.m. so I'll have to leave those for another post. Enjoy the pictures from the Bean's 21-month birthday!

No comments: