Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday, the 13th

Friday the 13th - oh the horror! Today I ventured out shopping with Joshua. While he's not a big fan, he actually did okay. We started at Target where I got a little back-pack 'leash,' a camera case that hopefully fits the camera Shawn bought me a long time ago and a Father's Day card for Daddy (thanks for the gift card, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder!). Shawn said what he wants most for Father's Day is his second son - and there's nothing I'd rather give him. From Target, Joshua & I headed to Giant to buy some things to make a few meals to put in the freezer. Even what I did buy won't last long, but I figure if we can survive the first week or two while we're adjusting to the baby and I'm recovering from surgery, we'll be doing okay. After we got home I baked a cake (which didn't turn out too well - I think it could have used five more minutes in the oven to be a little more crunchy on top, but I've never made it before and didn't want it to burn). Then I made two pans of 'elegant chicken' that went right into the freezer. Tomorrow I'll be making chicken noodle casserole, mini-cheddar meatloaves, lasagna and chicken-fried pork if all goes well. If all does not go well, I'll be making some things on Sunday, too.

Joshua was not thrilled to not be picked up when he asked since my hands were covered in raw chicken; such is life, though. After I was worn out from cooking and Daddy said he had some things he wanted to accomplish, I took Joshua to Grandma's for a little while to go swimming with his cousins. This year, surprisingly, he's not a big fan of the pool...yet. He likes to walk down the steps into the pool and then immediately says "out!" for us to lead him back to the steps to walk out. He could do this for hours, but it drives me crazy (and wears me out, truly). He did slide down the slide twice with Grandma at one end and Aunt Jen at the other while I kept an eye on Daniel. Joshua & Daniel have matching swimsuits that both Jen & I bought at Wal-mart since they come with a life-vest, helping them to float. Grace was pretending her name was Michelle, and I asked her who I was then if she was Michelle. She thought about it for a little while and then called me "Aunt Pretty" the rest of the night. What a cutie pie! All of Jen's kids were loving the pool. Mine? Not so much! So, Joshua & I left to come home and see what progress Shawn had made.
Shawn was working on clearing out some of the bushes and flowers near our fence so he could pressure wash it and paint it white. Unfortunately, we had a miscommunication and he cut down Joshua's mum. We had cut it back in the Spring and it was growing beautifully - the first year it was all together and huge. Oh well. Hopefully he'll have enough time to finish up the project this weekend, even though I'm getting my hair done tomorrow.

I cried most of the evening. Why? My guess is hormones. I heard that stupid (and I do mean stupid) song "Butterfly Kisses" and I cried that Joshua will grow up some day and that he's growing up so fast now. I cried about the mum (which is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things); I cried at the thought of having two kids when sometimes one feels a little overwhelming even though I love him to pieces. I cried over my stupid cake not turning out well...and truly, who needs cake anyway? Oh, in many ways, I'll be glad when this baby comes... until then, I'm grateful for Shawn & Joshua who put up with my moodiness and even try hard to make me feel better. I love my boys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the moodiness thing!! Eric kept saying that he was really ready for Joshua to be born b/c I was very emotional, esp. at the end! You'll do great with two children!! :) I think you had asked me a question about the book I'm using for preschool and I'm not sure what it was now??!! :( Love you.
Connie