Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ringing in 2012

On Saturday, December 31, Shawn had to work the entire day. In fact, he was awake long before the sun came up and at work before 6 am. Even though he doesn't get paid to work on the weekend, he always has to do year-end inventory on 12/31 and this year that was on a Saturday. The boys & I were missing him like crazy! He didn't get to take another day off either, which is annoying to me, but I appreciate that he has a job. Joshua & Caleb know that Daddy is typically home on Saturdays and Sundays, but we told them this was a silly week and he'd be home on Monday instead (since New Year's Day was on Sunday).
We invited our friends Chris & Lisa and their daughter Isabella to join us that night. They are also expecting a baby boy this coming May. Please pray for him!
Our friends arrived just after 8 pm. We had already put the boys in their PJs, and after Ryan said hello to everyone, he went to his crib shortly thereafter. I realized that we didn't take any pictures of Ryan that night - WHOOPS! So, here's one from the Dutch Wonderland pictures Lisa emailed me.
We had a variety of snacks that evening spread out nicely on my tiered plates I got for Christmas last year. There were flipside pretzel crackers, cheese & meat along with honey mustard to dip them in; tortilla chips & salsa; grapes; a veggie platter & ranch dressing; Lisa's favorite sour cream & cheddar chips; and Oreo cookies. They also brought a homemade cheese ball, crackers and chocolate-caramel covered apples. Yum!

The kids played while us adults chatted, then they played a little Wii, and eventually we turned on Dick Clark & Ryan Siegrist to count down the new year, where we toasted with champagne. I was exhausted that night! I couldn't believe how old I felt that I was struggling to keep my eyes open! Once the New Year came, the kids started having their own little dance party.
You'll see in the above picture that Isabella was dancing with Woody and somehow she hit herself in the eye with him and got a nice shiner. Poor girl!
Lisa told me that Isabella said she is going to marry Joshua. She said that once they are married, they are going to live with Chris & Lisa. Haaa!!! Kids are so funny!

Our friends left around 12:30ish, and after cleaning up, we put the kiddos to bed. Ryan woke up when we went upstairs, so I fed him around 1:30 and then turned in myself. I briefly talked about a couple things I want to accomplish or do differently this year. But, I think Shawn was pretty well asleep by then!
No matter what time we go to bed, my boys are always up early! New Year's Day was no exception. Joshua came in our room right around 6ish. He snuggled with us until 7, but that was when we all got out of bed.
We eventually headed to the grocery store where we bought some garlic-parmesan crusted pork chops, regular pork chops, sauerkraut and some other items that we needed. For dinner that night, I made sauerkraut for me (no one else eats it - both boys tried it but said "these noodles taste funny") and all the pork, along with mashed potatoes and peas. It was good, and we were ready for a 'prosperous new year' that comes from such traditions.
(The pictures are from NYE and Dutch Wonderland.) As I posted on facebook: The number 12 has much significance. There were 12 tribes of Israel, 12 disciples, and 12 for us is the fulfillment of time. I'm praying the year '12 is full of miracles, blessings and special surprises!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: