Saturday, November 19, 2011

A wind-raker?

On Saturday, November 12, Shawn went with his buddy Chris to the PSU football game. Chris had asked him at the beginning of the season if he'd like to go, long before Shawn even scheduled his ankle surgery. They agreed upon this date. Then all the craziness happened in the news, and I asked Shawn if he was still going to go. It's a lot of walking, I heard there's rioting, etc. etc. And he said he still wanted to go. At first, he said that with his ankle, he still wanted to go because it was supposed to be a good game. Then he said he wanted to go see Joe Pa's last game he was coaching. After he was fired, he still wanted to go and see this historic game. He had already committed to going, so I said okay.
With as much as I've been working, I was excited to have a day at home with my boys and no real plans. We went for a walk and played in the garage that morning. The day before had been extremely windy, so while we don't have any trees in our yard, we still had TONS of leaves to rake. I tried to get the leaf blower working but didn't realize that the battery was out of the one and the other needed plugged in (whoops!). So I got the old fashioned rake out and decided to go about it the hard way. I knew the boys would LOVE to play in them, and I was right!
It was a lovely day outside, and Ryan slept in his stroller while the older two played and played. We read books, played games, played puzzle books, put together potato heads, and did all sorts of fun activities together that day. I made their favorite noodles, peas & carrots for dinner and I gave all three boys a bath and got them into their jammies. Then I got them a snack and was reading one last book when Daddy came home. They were happy to see him! We had all had a fun day. Shawn said the game was like no other that he had ever been to. Beaver Stadium got completely silent at one point while both teams went onto the field and prayed for the victims. On the way home, he & Chris hit traffic from an accident that Shawn said "didn't look good." I was so thankful that it wasn't their vehicle that was turned over!
The next morning we went to church as a family. There's a new sermon series starting, and it was good. The ratio of caregivers to babies in Ryan's class was also better. When we got home, I baked some pumpkin spice muffins. Then we left to go to Jordon's 9th birthday party in Reading. For some reason, Ryan cried the entire time we were there. I guess he was tired. We left there to go to Isabella's 4th birthday party. We got to the location, and no one was there. That was odd. Shawn didn't have his cell phone with him, and I didn't have their numbers plugged into mine. So, I tried their house, thinking that maybe someone was sick and they had to cancel. NOPE! Instead, the party was scheduled for noon. I had written down "Isabella 4 party." While it was her fourth birthday, the party did not start at four. I have no idea how I got it mixed up in my head. I felt TERRIBLE about it!
We left the community center where her party was being held and drove to their house to drop off her gifts. They invited us to come inside for dinner, which was incredibly sweet. I felt awful that I had gotten the time wrong, and they were so gracious. The boys loved playing with Izzy and it was nice to catch up with our friends.
 The following morning, we headed over to the Buckwalter's house. The boys love playing with Kyler (and little Sophi) and I love hanging out with Karisten. We always have a fun time with them. It was in the 70s that day, so we let the kids play outside some of the morning. It was great! We talk about babies and preschool and church and all sorts of things. I value our family's friendship. :)
In November, we often think of things that we are thankful for, and to name just a few: in addition to God, my husband and my boys, I'm thankful for beautiful weather, friends who mean so much to us, the ability to make new memories doing different activities, the opportunity to live in a country where water is prevalent, music, preschool teachers and nursery caregivers, family, a house in a nice neighborhood, our vehicles, our jobs, clothing, the medical expertise of this area, and so much more!

No comments: