Friday, November 11, 2011

A Harvest Fair & A Heart Attack!

Calvary's harvest fair ended up being Saturday, November 5. While I had asked two other families to join us in the fun, both couldn't make the "snow date" (in this case). Shawn said he would keep Ryan with him but didn't want to do all that walking, particularly on the uneven ground. So, I was solo with the two older boys. I got there a little later than I wanted to, and we ended up parking almost near the road and walked the entire way back because the parking lot was that full. That should have been my first clue that this event was going to be more crowded than I like. But, we pressed on to have a good time! We've loved this event years past.
We headed to the pumpkin patch where the little kiddo activities are. I realized that this is probably one of the last years that Joshua will enjoy some of these things. He's probably old enough to graduate to another area, but he still had fun. Our first thing they did was walk the balance beam. At the end of every activity, they received a "prize" to put in their bags. And I really appreciate that it's not all candy. They got goldfish and pretzels and other snacks that they enjoy just as much and doesn't rot their teeth as quickly. Then they did the barrel rides (which you'll see in the photo above). Joshua also wanted to do the bowling activity. With one mama and two boys, I didn't get to take as many pictures as I would have liked to because I needed to hold hands, take bags and help. But, that was okay. We had a lot of fun!
 
We did several activities and then I suggested we go wait in line to do a hay ride. Both boys agreed that sounded like a good idea! There were two older boys (I'm going to guess early teens) who were poorly behaved in front of us. They were punching each other in the arm (for fun), kicking each other, spitting everywhere like they were chewing and all sorts of other things that I was appalled to have my kids watch. Such is life! What do I have ahead of me, I wondered, as far as my boys getting older? I whispered in Joshua's ear that it is NOT okay to hit or kick another person for any reason, and he nodded that he understood. The tractor ride was longer than I expected, and the kids seemed to enjoy it. :) Afterward, we decided to go get our free hot dog meal as our late lunch (the event was 1-5p). It's so nice that Calvary offers this event for FREE!
When we had finished eating, we went back to do more games. Joshua did AMAZING at basketball once again. I couldn't believe that he made every single shot! Impressive!

The lines were long, and the place was PACKED! I felt like I was shoulder to shoulder with other adults as we were weaving in and out of the crowds. This is the busiest I've ever seen it. Joshua said that he MUST go on the bounce house. The line was forever long, but he agreed that even if this is the last thing he got to do, it's what he wanted the most. Caleb, on the other hand, didn't want to wait. He asked if he could crawl through a tunnel that they had set up while we waited. And I debated. The tunnel started right next to where we were waiting, and I could see the end down a few yards. There wasn't much of a line for it, so even though I wasn't completely sure about us splitting even for a moment, I finally gave in, knowing that it's hard for Caleb to stay still and wait and this line was barely moving since they allow the children some time to bounce in the house once they finally get their turn.

I made a mental note of who was in line in front of Caleb and who was behind him, and I tried to keep a close eye on the tunnel. I hate little tunnels like this because I am claustrophobic. If Caleb got stuck, I would not be able to go in without being in a panic. Then I wondered, what happens if Caleb panics? He doesn't have his big brother there. I started to worry, but I told myself that he should be fine since he's following other kids and there are people behind him to keep him going.

I saw the kid who was in front of him come out. Oh, good, I thought. Then I saw... the kid who was behind him come out. NO CALEB! That little feeling of fear crept in, but I kept calm and told Joshua to stay in the bounce line while I went to go look to see what I should do. There was a gal at the front of the tunnel and one at the back (to hand out the prize). I asked the girl in the back what I should do if I didn't see my son come out, and she noted that there are little "peep" holes at certain spots where parents can talk to their kids. So, I shouted "CALEB!" I didn't hear anything. Other kids were continuing to come out. But, I didn't see him anywhere. Finally our neighbor kid (who at times annoys me with how much he comes around, but on this day he seemed like an angel) came up and volunteered to climb through and find my little buddy. Whew!

The bounce line was moving and Joshua was starting to get closer to being able to go in. My heart sank completely when Evan came out and said that Caleb was NOT in the tunnel. I looked at the masses of people EVERYWHERE, and I was devastated. Never before have I felt so awful in my life that I remember. I told Joshua that I was sorry, but we MUST leave the line to go look for his little brother. He was about the fourth kid back at this point, and he was devastated to wait that whole time and not get to go. I felt so bad for him. He's right that it wasn't fair, and yet I wasn't willing to risk losing him too. I prayed. And our neighbor kid said he would help look for him. I was trembling.
Then around the corner came a woman who was wearing a name tag, holding Caleb's hand. I shouted "CALEB!" and I ran to grab him and hug him. The woman said that he was at the OTHER bounce house, down way further from where we were at. When they realized he was lost, she asked his name and he told her. Then she asked what his mom's name was, and he said "Mama." He does know my 'real' name, but Mama is what he calls me. She said that they were walking to the front of the Harvest Fair to announce a missing child. Thank God they had a plan (and a loud speaker) because I honestly thought I may never find him. I hadn't done what my parents always did - create a spot to meet if we got separated. And I didn't because at three- and five-years old, we shouldn't be separated!!! Caleb looked nervous when I got him, not completely rattled but not himself either. I was downright terrified and SO glad to see him. I apologized for missing the time that he came out. He must have crawled through extremely fast and went by the little ones in front of him. While I was watching almost every moment, I must have been looking at Joshua or something else when he came out. I don't blame him for getting disoriented in the tunnel. He looked for a bounce house and went to a different one - an honest mistake. He said to me, "I'm sorry you got lost, Mommy." Me too, kiddo!

Joshua was SO sad that he didn't get to bounce. But, I wasn't thrilled at the idea of waiting in that horrible line again. We looked and the lines were long everywhere. At that moment, I decided that maybe it would be better just to go home. After all, we had missed nap time and I could tell that both kids were tired at this point. We did a couple other short activities (and Caleb saw one of his favorite teachers working at one of the stations) and headed out. I told Joshua he could play Wii with Daddy when we got home because he was so very good there. He was thrilled with that, and I was glad.

When we got home, Caleb fell running up the stairs to put his shoes away; and when I picked him up, he snorted blood all over my sweater. I feared he broke his nose! I asked Shawn to look at it, and while he did, Joshua and I prayed for Caleb. It had not been his day (or mine!). Daddy said Caleb's nose was fine, and indeed it seemed to be. THANK YOU, GOD!!! He answered our prayers for his nose, and he answered my prayers of finding my boy. I hope that we NEVER get separated again, never ever!

No comments: