Friday, November 25, 2011

A Feast Before Thanksgiving

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Mamaw watched Ryan (thanks!) so I could go to the preschool to help Joshua's class. I love being able to see him in action, and I also enjoy that he likes when I come to school with him. So far, I haven't become "uncool" to have around. We dropped Caleb off at his room first, and his class was making stone soup and pumpkin cookies. Each parent volunteered to bring in the ingredients to help. After he was in his class, Joshua & I walked to his room. I sat at a table and asked students to fill in the blank about the first Thanksgiving. Many of the kiddos said that the Indians taught the Pilgrims how to play. So cute! Most of them, though, knew that the Pilgrims came to America on a ship and were taught how to plant food. Many said "plant corn" including Joshua. When asked what he was thankful for, Joshua said "YOU, Mommy!" So sweet!

Then at the same table, we played a turkey game where children would roll dice and move their turkeys up a board to a finish line. I would say several didn't know how to move their pieces or count the numbers on the dice - I could tell they hadn't played games. Our kids LOVE playing games. :) :) :)

Then I helped set up the feast, which included roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, grapes, juice, and green beans. I couldn't believe how much kids ate! Joshua just ate the grapes, from what I remember. Silly Bean! While setting up, I listened to the "normal" activities of the day - how they sang songs, did their share bag, talked about the date and weather, and how the teacher taught them. I was highly impressed with all the teacher got done in this short amount of time. Mine was just one of the three stations - when students weren't playing the turkey game, they were doing crafts and writing.

At the end of the day, we split into three stations again to play more turkey games. Joshua said it was fun to have me there. I was tired by the end of it! That's a lot of kiddos and a lot of activity! I'm glad that he gets to enjoy preschool. We have been very blessed by his teacher and her activities. She does a great job with the students, not giving them a moment of free time to get disruptive.

That night as a family, we watched "A Snoodle's Tale," which turned into a little "family dance party." I remember the year before we started dating, Shawn & I danced together on the night before Thanksgiving. That was a VERY different scene. Who would have thought then what our Thanksgiving Eve would look well more than a decade later? In many ways, I appreciate the one we had now more. We love to see the kids sing and dance and enjoy themselves! :) :) :)

No comments: