Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Sticky Friend

Proverbs 18:24 "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
One of the songs we listen to goes "There is a friend, a friend who STICKS" and a child interrupts to ask "A friend who STINKS?" Steve Green answers "No, a friend who STICKS!" "Like bubble gum or glue?" Well, something like that...

I finally understand the importance of sticking closer than a brother. My oldest two boys are SO close! Last Thursday, all of my plans for the day got changed around. The dentist office called me to say that their hygienist had an emergency and they needed to reschedule Joshua's cleaning; and while we were supposed to have lunch at Aunt Jen's, she and John were sick that morning.  I had mentioned to Mom that maybe she'd like to have some one-on-one time with the Bean like she does my sister's kiddos at times, and she agreed that that afternoon would be a good option since she already had it on her calendar to watch the other two. I picked up the Bean from preschool and told him that our lunch date had changed and he no longer had a dentist appointment. Would he like to go to Mamaw's?

I was expecting him to be thrilled, and while he was, his first question was "Is Caleb coming?" I told him "Nope! This is some one-on-one time for you to have special moments with Mamaw." He said, "Oh, yes, I'd love to play at Mamaw's, but I really want Caleb to come too. Why can't he come?" I tried to explain one-on-one time, but he persisted that Caleb MUST come along. I called Mamaw and asked "Could Caleb come, too?" She said sure, and the plans were settled. I stopped and grabbed them a to-go lunch and headed over to her house. It gave me some time to do some grading and talk to Daddy over his lunch break, so it worked out great all the way around (thanks, Mamaw!).

These brothers may have their moments where they don't get along, but they are almost inseparable. We try to instill in them that they are to love each other, stick up for one another, watch out for each other, and be close friends. To know that Jesus sticks closer to us than a brother is truly impressive in light of my boys! Thank You, God, for being a "sticky" friend!!!

No comments: