Saturday, November 19, 2011

11*11*11

On 10/10/10, we officially found out that we were expecting our little Ryan Josiah. I woke up the morning of 11/11/11 hopeful for another special day on a special date. It turned out even better than I expected!

The Wednesday before, Shawn & I sat down to look over our finances. We had been putting it off because both of us know it's not pretty and sometimes ignorance is bliss. But, with the upcoming holiday season, we truly can't put it off any longer. I had come home Tuesday night telling Shawn that I really didn't love my second job. While I enjoy teaching at the first place, the second has been a ton of work for a lot less pay. Was it worth it? We looked at our budget and found that we needed the income.

Last year in my Bible study, I had come to the parable of the loaves and fishes. God took a little and turned it into a whole lot when it was given to Him. I prayed then for our budget and one of my colleagues told me about the teaching opportunity where I'm at now. I knew it was a gift from God. And while the pay isn't as fantastic, it's still the opportunity to make money where I'm not waitressing or flipping burgers. And I really don't want to have to go back to working full time because I cherish every moment I get to spend with my children.

This fall, I've taught three different classes on two nights, and I have been HATING being away from my kids so much, especially dear little Ryan who is still nursing. BUT, it's work. I really can't complain. And on months where this is happening, we are breaking even.

We also talked about ways to save money in our budget. But, we don't live extravagantly. I told Shawn - and I absolutely meant it - that we could live in a cardboard box and I'd be happy as long as I had three healthy children and my amazing spouse. In the world's eyes, we may not have much, but to me, I have everything I need. We have never gone hungry, never been homeless, and never done without something we truly needed. I have an amazing spouse and three beautiful little boys. And I know God will take care of us.

Fast forward two days to Friday, November 11. That morning,  I went shopping with Mom because there was a sale at one of our favorite stores. I told myself I wasn't even going to take in my wallet. Why be tempted when I know that we need to watch our spending? It's still fun to shop and look around, try on things and have a morning out.  We looked around and found several cute things to try on. Then I shared that I had a mandatory faculty dinner coming up. I wasn't sure what to wear, and it was bothering me. Of course I found a jacket there that was dressy and professional on a day I didn't want to spend money. It was perfect! But, I wasn't going to buy it. Mom generously offered to get it for me so I wouldn't look like the "poor relative." It was SO sweet! It was the perfect gift to remind me that God takes care of our every need.

When I got home that day, we got another check from someone who told us that he felt like God was telling him to give it to us. I got tears in my eyes. Again, I knew it was the Lord telling me that He would always take care of us if we trust Him. The night before I had been evaluated by the head of the department unexpectedly. Not only did he give me an outstanding evaluation, he also told me that he plans on offering my class more often and would be giving me an "official" offer for the Spring on 12/16 if all went well. Another answer to prayer! Thank You, God! We still have a way to go with being disciplined with our finances, but I'm hopeful that God can take what little we have and turn it into enough or even overflowing.

That Friday night, Shawn & I had an inexpensive date. We want to make sure to get in some quality time together as a couple since we're apart often working different shifts to care for the kiddos. It was an absolutely fantastic 11*11*11!

No comments: