Friday, November 18, 2011

Pray for Our Boys

I was literally nauseated by all the news focused on Penn State and the man who raped little boys. How could a human being do such a thing? How could someone witness such a heinous act and not stop it immediately? How could anyone simply sweep it under the rug and continue to allow other children to be hurt by the same person? It made me sick. Shawn said that if it were his kids that had been hurt, the guy wouldn't have the chance to go to trial because he'd be found with a bullet in his head. I've never known Shawn to be a violent person, but I knew he meant it. Thinking about it, I didn't feel like a bullet would be enough. I would want the man to suffer HORRIBLY... even that my mind would begin to think about what a person like that "deserves" made me shudder.

Thankfully, I remembered the verses in the Bible that tells us that GOD will repay those who do wrong with what they deserve. It's not my job to say "Well, you know what I'd do..." Instead, I have to trust that God didn't intend for man to be so evil. When we think about Sodom and Gomorrah, evil deeds were rampant - just like the men that came to rape the very angels of God that were staying in Lot's house (Genesis 19). The fact that Lot would even offer his daughters to them was awful to me. God rained down burning sulfur and destroyed the towns. Speaking of this later, 2 Peter 2:6, 9 says "if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;" "if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment." Likewise, Jude 1:7 says "In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire."
I didn't have to think of a "proper" judgment for a man who would hurt children, because that's God's job. And He will do so with righteousness that I don't have. How can I serve as 'judge' when I have sinned as well? While I don't believe my sin to be as sick and nasty as that sin, the Bible says that "sin is sin." We've all fallen short of the glory of God, like Joshua's most recent Bible verse would tell us. How is it that I want to be forgiven and yet I can't forgive someone who did something so awful? I'm glad it's not my job to judge. I'm glad that I can trust God to do what He says in His Word.

Romans 12:19 says "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord." The Lord says this in Deuteronomy 32:35 "It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.” Joshua tells me that 'his' song is Romans 12:21 "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." I was feeling overcome by evil - evil thoughts of what I'd do to anyone who even so much as looked at my kids wrong. Instead, I needed to overcome evil with good. I decided to turn my anxious heart to God. On Thursday afternoon when the boys were having their quiet time, I went to the piano and began to worship. I thanked God for being Holy, for sitting on the Throne of both judgment and grace, and for protecting my children.
I wept for the boys who had been hurt, I prayed for them and their families, and I interceded on my children's behalf. How can I allow these precious little ones to go out into such a dark and depraved world? Why is it that I'm going to have to allow them to leave my house and go to Kindergarten and participate in sports and church and trust that other fellow human beings aren't cruel and wouldn't do such things to children? How can I keep them safe and have other responsibilities? I began to pray for holy angel body guards!

And finally, I began to just praise the Lord. What worship and praise can do for the heart and soul! I can think about things that are trustworthy, praiseworthy, righteous and true. I can focus my mind where it needs to be when I take time to let my spirit commune with God's.
That week, I was talking to Shawn's mom and she remembered what the Bible said about it would be better for a person to have a millstone around his neck than to cause any little ones to stumble. It says the same thing in three different places in the Bible (Matthew 18:6, Mark 9:42, Luke 17:2): “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." God cares for His children! He will repay as only He can!
If you're taking the time to read this blog, will you take a moment to pray with me? Please pray for the safety, protection and overall well-being of my three precious boys:

Dear Heavenly Father, we thank You and praise You that You are holy. God, we know that You never intended for man to be so evil. We know that sin disgusts You. When our hearts can't bear the thought of such acts, how much more it must offend You - the only holy, righteous and blameless One. Father, we ask for a divine protection over Joshua, Caleb and Ryan throughout the entire lives. Please have your holy angel body guards protecting their physical bodies, their spirits and their minds. Don't allow anyone or anything to hurt them or scar them physically, spiritually or emotionally. Please allow them to grow in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man, just like You did, Jesus. We present these requests to You with a thankful heart that we know You are able and faithful to provide all their (and our) needs. We glorify and praise You! In Jesus' Name, AMEN!

No comments: