Sunday, November 6, 2011

Joshua, Our Community Helper

The last Thursday of October was "Community Helpers" day at preschool. Throughout October, one of the themes for this unit was fire safety. Along with that, the class discussed jobs and items related to helping people. Since the preschool doesn't celebrate Halloween, they do activities throughout the year (I'm guessing) where the kids get to dress up. At this particular party, kids were asked to wear something related to being a community helper, which could have included "super heroes" or "princesses."
Joshua told us a long time ago that he wanted to be a police officer. But, recently he's said that he wants to be a fireman. I remembered my friend Julie's son Jude had a cool fire costume. Since I didn't want to have to buy yet another costume, I asked her if she thought it would be big enough for Joshua and if she would mind if we would borrow it. She said yes to both (thank you, friends!) and brought it along to That Bounce Place when we met there. Since she lives near Millersville, I returned it that following Thursday before class. It worked perfectly! He was SO happy to be a fireman!
Earlier that week, they made "medical kits." It was a construction paper suitcase, and they pasted "first aid" and the symbols associated with it. Then they taped a q-tip to the inside, along with construction paper pills, and other similar items. He was so excited to bring it home! The boys & daddy played "I'm sick, help me!" while one of them would get their first aid kit and come to the rescue. Then Joshua offered to help Aunt Erica, who was recently in a car accident. SO sweet! He's been concerned.
I can't remember if it was that night or the week before that was the parade at the elementary school near our house. Either way, it was on a Thursday when I had class. The kids went outside with Daddy to watch the real fire trucks and all the kids in costume parade through our development. Shawn ran into old friends from high school that have a kiddo at our school, as well as our neighbors from across the street. Now that I'm writing this, I think that this activity was a few weeks ago because the neighbor was asking about Shawn's crutches, and he hasn't used them in a little bit (please continue to pray for his ankle, though, as he's still in excruciating pain!).
Yesterday we almost needed a fire fighter. I made Mamaw from Florida's chili mac recipe. We had bought burger from Weis at a super price, and I've been thinking of recipes to use it in. Since we had some left over that I had browned to make cheeseburger roll-ups the night before, I thought chili mac sounded good. I baked the corn bread muffins and they came out perfectly! I cooked the chili and the noodles on the stove, and both seemed perfectly done. It smelled delicious and tasted perfect - I just needed to let the macaroni soak up the chili taste. I walked away for a few minutes - can't remember now what I was doing, but chances are it was either helping the kids or reading something that I thought would be quick.

Then I started smelling something burning. Badly. I remembered my chili mac still sitting on the stove!!! I forgot to stir it in the meantime, and I forgot to take it off the hot burner. It was BLACK on the bottom of my pan. We tried eating the top of it, but the entire thing tasted like charcoal. Daddy helped me dispose of it, but we needed to air out the house and put on some candles. I'm seriously glad I didn't burn down the house. We enjoyed our corn bread muffins, but I was SO disappointed I ruined an entire meal. I haven't done that in ages! Shawn told me that with cooking, you win some and you lose some. He wasn't terribly upset, but I was. Such is life, I guess! I've been cooking a ton lately, and most days it turns out well, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. And, praise God, the house is still in tact and no longer smells like an incinerator. I'm glad we have our little "community helper" just in case!

No comments: