Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Happy 5-month birthday, Ryan Josiah!

Isn't Ryan's smile just delightful? When we look at him, he grins. While he can get fussy at times (not unlike any other baby), he loves one-on-one interaction and will cheese it up when we simply talk to him. When he gets unhappy, he doesn't like to cuddle but would rather be left to himself to suck his thumb. He loves his thumbs! Either one brings him joy. It's been fantastic for his self-soothing.
Ryan is now working on his second bottom tooth, and I feel so bad for him and the pain he's in. :( Poor guy!
Besides his thumbs, he loves his feet. He will pull off his socks within seconds and most days I'm putting them on multiple times an hour. He grabs his feet and will roll all over. There are times, though, that an arm will get stuck underneath him and he can't continue to roll. Then he will cry and fuss! This is happening more and more at night. He'll get a leg or an arm stuck out the side of his crib or he'll roll in such a way that he gets his arm pinned. So, my once sleeping-through-the-night Schnookalou has waking me up a couple times a night again these past couple weeks.
Ryan LOVES to play in exersaucers and be up and part of the happenings in the room. He enjoys when his big brothers play with him and interacts with them by cooing and smiling and trying to grab their faces, fingers or the toys they're giving him. The boys' interaction is so dear! Ryan also loves to watch his froggie mobile above his bed. Neither of the other boys had quite the interest that he has in it. He loves to listen to the music and watch it spin. It helps soothe him immediately when we put him in his crib. :)
My little Ry-guy has outgrown the 3-6 month clothing and is comfortably in 6-9 months now. He's getting to be so big! I love that he's growing and has an amazing personality (he gabs away all the time!), and I try to stay focused on that rather than thinking that this is the last time I'll ever see my own little newborn. The kids' looks change by the month! (That's why I try to stay diligent with this blog and the printing of it so we have all these memories to look back at and smile about.) I am so thankful that Ryan is part of our family! What a gift from heaven he is!
At the last feeding that we had, I would guess that Ryan did eat some of the rice cereal. Much of it came right back out with his tongue pushing on it, but every once in awhile an entire bite was swallowed. He is so interested in the food we're eating, and he opens his mouth when the spoon comes up to his face, so I think he's ready for food. It will just take some getting used to for him on how to eat solid food. I'm in no rush! I want him to take his time being little and enjoy each stage thoroughly. He's obviously a big guy already, so I don't think he's lacking for calories!

There are days that Ryan nurses well and other days that I'm wondering if he can survive on how little he has eaten. But, he is surviving, so I'm trying not to worry. Yesterday he only ate four times, but he ate relatively well (at least 10 minutes) at all four feedings. The other day he ate five or six times but went back to this four-minute business. I can't figure him out, and while I had done really well with getting Caleb on a routine schedule, I haven't done quite as good with Ryan due to our schedule changing daily between preschool and my working, etc.

The pediatrician told me that I could try to wean him off the Zantac, but to keep with it if I feel that he's in pain or not eating well. How can you tell with a baby? Between teeth and trying to eat solid food on occasion, I'm not sure what's the cause of his not eating on some days. I asked Shawn what his thoughts were, and we both agreed that rather than chance it and him be in severe pain, is there harm with keeping the Zantac going? We did the opposite with Joshua and later regretted it, seeing via surgery that he had severe burns to his esophagus. It was crushing to our spirits to know that our precious baby had been in pain for so long! Why risk that again if we don't need to? I ordered more Zantac and will discuss it again with the pediatrician next month.
Ryan is cooing and "talking" with his gabbing ways and reminds me of the Bean when he was his age in so many ways! I love to rock him when he's sleeping (otherwise, he's not much of a cuddle bug) and play and interact with him. Whenever I even catch his eyes, he smiles wide. It is so sweet to my soul to have such an amazing baby! He is so good when we go out and about, and he self-soothes so well that even at home he's genuinely amazing. All babies take a lot of work, but I have been so blessed with each one of my boys for their different characteristics.
Happy 5-month birthday, Ryan Josiah!

No comments: