Friday, October 14, 2011

Visitors & Surgery

Papaw had a business meeting up this way, so he & Mamaw came into town on Sunday. They stopped by our place that evening as I was bathing the boys. The kiddos were so excited to see them! Then on Tuesday we got a call to see if we'd like to meet at Red Robin for dinner. We said yes, and we met the entire fam (minus Aunt Gayle - sorry we missed you!) there. We all feasted on bottomless fries and split Mountain High Mudpies (or is it mile high mountain pies or something? Who knows? It's chocolate ice cream cake that is amazing!). I also had my favorite chicken caprese sandwich. Joshua & Grant told knock-knock jokes and played with dinosaurs. We also met "Red Robin" who scared Jenavieve. Ryan did well there, I'd say, and even fell asleep in the booth next to me as we ate. At the end of the night, he got fussy because it was time to eat, so I suggested we hit the road. Thanks for dinner!
On Thursday, Mamaw & Papaw watched the boys while Daddy had his foot/ankle surgery. I dropped Joshua off at preschool and then they arrived at 10:30 am so Daddy & I could leave to be at the surgery center at 11. I had plenty to do there between my Bible study things and my school work. They got Shawn prepped (including shaving half his leg!) while I waited in the waiting room. Then they called me back so I could chat with him before he was taken back. When they took him, they told me I had about an hour. So, I decided to go home and feed my little Schnook. As I got there, our bed was arriving. Woohoo! I was glad it came before Shawn was going to be home on it. I fed Ryan and got right back... BUT I still missed the surgeon! Shawn was done and I didn't get to talk to his doctor. I was so upset, but the nurses said that meant everything went well if the doctor didn't take very long. I would have never left if I would have known I would miss the doctor.

Eventually I got to go back to Shawn in recovery, and just seeing him in pain made me feel woozy. At one point, I literally thought I was going to pass out. My vision went dark, and I grasped the chair. Thankfully I don't think anyone noticed. Shawn went to the bathroom right then (maybe the idea of him getting up with his foot all nasty was what did me in?) and the nurses were outside. I could feel that all the blood had left my face and I could barely function when the nurse came back. But, I felt the tingling sensation in my cheeks as the blood came back to my head. I knew fresh air would do me good. Shawn took the discharge instructions from me, saying he wanted to see them in case he had any questions. I told him I was the one who should be reviewing them to ask questions since he was drugged, but he insisted. The nurse smiled and printed me another copy. We did ask a couple of things and got squared away, and the nurse said that Shawn thinks he would remember but he wouldn't. I thought Shawn seemed pretty coherent, so I wasn't so sure she was right. Well, she was.
I went and got the minivan and wheeled around and picked him up. Papaw had taken the older boys to McDonald's for lunch but was back to watch and make sure Shawn got himself inside with his crutches. But, instead of going to bed, Shawn went downstairs to sit on the recliner, etc. I told him that he wasn't supposed to be up and around, and he said he was fine - that's not what the paperwork said. Could I have missed something? YES! I missed that Shawn was LOOPY and could not make his own decisions. It didn't hurt him too much, though. I had a good chuckle over the weekend when Shawn made me go get his discharge instructions because he hadn't seen them yet. I looked at him and said "you took mine, telling me that it was more important that you read them than me...don't you remember?" He didn't remember a thing!!!

Mamaw & Papaw kept the oldest two boys overnight that evening (thank you!) and Mom took Ryan while I was at Millersville teaching that night (thanks so much!). I picked up my little Schnook and took him home with me and checked on how our patient was doing. We were both starving at that point, and I made the dinner that my friend had brought earlier that day. My dear friend Tara who just gave birth to her son in September had an appointment with her mom that morning with an oncologist and still had made our family dinner. She dropped off amazing homemade stromboli, fresh green beans from her garden, blueberry muffins, Shawn's favorite type of potato chips and pumpkin cake. I was so blessed by her generosity and thoughtfulness! I emailed her how much I appreciated her kindness to us - that night after class, all I had to do was pop her boli in the oven for 15 minutes and heat up her fresh green beans and dinner was served. It was AMAZING! Both Shawn & I went on and on about how good everything tasted.
The next day, Mamaw & Papaw brought the boys back from their adventures. That's when I took these pictures. The boys are giving them bear hugs, and Shawn held Ryan long enough for me to snap a picture or two. This was Ryan's 'actual' 4-month birthday. The Ginders blessed Shawn with a little care package of snacks and goodies and gift cards to help him feel better (thanks so much!). The boys had a great time with them, by sounds. They saw a hot air balloon and played at the park. They even came home with "belly washers" (or little bottles of juice with cars on the top).
Papaw turned 'double-nickels' this week. I remember he turned 50 the year Joshua was born, so now Papaw is the big number 5(5). Thanks again for watching the boys while Shawn was in surgery!

On Saturday morning, I met Nonie at the Turkey Hill in Ephrata as she was picking up Jordon there as well. I think all three boys spent the night at their house that evening. The boys had a blast "playing football" with their cousin. Thanks, Nonie & Poppy for also watching the boys for us over the weekend. I cooked Shawn breakfast in bed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as lunch and dinner. I think he could get used to it!

To give Daddy time to rest, I went shopping with my Mom on Saturday afternoon. It was fun! I forgot it was Columbus Day weekend, so the outlets were a literal zoo. But, of course I found some things I couldn't live without - yet have to! Haaa!!! It was still fun to get out for a little while. Shawn & I watched some TV without interruption as well. He is a very good patient, not complaining at all. I still miss my helper, but I'm happy to serve him.

Nonie & Poppy brought the boys back to our house on Sunday. While Ryan was napping, Shawn told me that I was fine to go running. He promised to call my cell phone if he needed me and they were both in our king size bed. I took him up on the offer and enjoyed the absolutely beautiful weather. It was in the 80s and sunny! For October, you couldn't ask for a more perfect day! When I came back, the kiddos had beat me home by a few minutes. I was glad to see them. Thanks for watching them for us! Thus ended Columbus Day weekend at our house.

No comments: