Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy 4-month birthday, Ryan Josiah!

On Friday, October 7, Ryan turned four months old. Two days prior to his birthday, I schedule an appointment for him to have his pictures taken professionally while my older two boys were in preschool. Ryan did a fantastic job for the gal! He was all smiles and looked handsome in his little outfit, I might add! I love his big blue eyes, pale soft skin and pinch-tastic cheeks!
Ryan has been sleeping through the night now on a regular basis. In fact, now when he does wake me up on occasion at 3:30-4 am to eat, I'm completely groggy whereas I used to be "ready" for it (if you can consider it 'ready' in the middle of the night). I used to be able to rock my baby to sleep, but now he's too interested in "talking" to me (he loves to gab away and act like he's talking - he loves when he's asked a question or I say things like 'you don't say!' because he'll keep going on and on). So, when he's ready for bed at night, I lay him down and let him go to sleep on his own. He LOVES to suck his thumb, which if he can get onto his side and get his thumb in his mouth, he can put himself to sleep in seconds.
I would venture to say that while Ryan does love to be held, he also likes some time to himself, too, just to look around, kick, and suck his thumb. So, at times if he's really fussy and I can't figure out what else to do, I lay him down for a few minutes and he usually goes right to sleep. He also LOVES to smile at his big brothers and really enjoys watching them. He hasn't been rolling as much lately. For awhile, he was rolling onto his back from his belly, then he started belly to back, then started where he'd roll and couldn't get back over (making him MAD!) and now I haven't seen too much rolling at all. I think before it was gravity helping him as he would be moving to find that thumb of his. Now that he can easily pop it into his mouth, he doesn't have as much of an incentive to roll.
My baby is sitting up rather well with the bumbo. He's not sitting on his own yet or even close, but I'm amazed at how well he does in the bumbo. He doesn't get a ton of practice because I feel like he's constantly in his car seat. From dropping off and picking up the boys at preschool to the other errands that we run, I feel like I'm constantly putting him in there. But, that's life for now!
Ryan has been taking Zantac since his doctor's appointment in September. I'm not convinced he has reflux, but I'm not convinced he doesn't. He does burp a ton, but he also eats really fast. If I would chug like he does, I would be apt to belch too (just saying!). He's now eating about every 4-5 hours, but he's eating for longer now so maybe the issue was just that he didn't want to eat as often and I was taking his thumb-sucking/routing as hunger. He does love those hands! He's also working on a bottom tooth that I think will be in any day now. I keep checking! Anyway, he also struggles to make a bowel movement and while the allergy testing came back negative, they do look like there's mucus in them. So, I'm planning on asking the doctor. I hate to see my little guy miserable! But, after he goes, he's SO happy! And hungry, typically. I read that Zantac can help with intestinal issues, too, so we've been giving it to him.
That said, it really could be reflux. Lately his burps have seemed really wet (not that this is exciting conversation, but I won't remember if I don't write it down, so sometimes these posts even help me!). This past Saturday morning when he woke up, I decided to feed Ryan before giving him his medication and changing his outfit because he seemed so hungry and it had been so long since his last feeding. I had forgotten in my groggy state that the night before when he had gone to bed, he never burped for me before falling asleep. So, I laid down with him in our bed and nursed him on one side. After ten minutes, I sat him up to burp him. He belched PROJECTILE VOMIT all over me! I screamed. Shawn came running (he was in the office). I honestly thought my husband was going to vomit, too, when he saw us. He had that look on his face. Then he took Ryan who was also covered and told me to immediately go get a shower. I told him I would help him clean up our bed and baby first and he insisted that I go RIGHT to the shower. Indeed, I haven't been that covered since Caleb was a baby. It was all over my back even and in my hair, etc. In the shower I thought, maybe reflux? When I was done, I gave him his medication and he ate on the other side. Poor little guy! But, he seemed to feel fantastic after getting the air out of his stomach.
Ryan is fairly easygoing, which I love.While he fusses for other people, he's pretty content for his mama. Last night I was bathing him, and he didn't whimper at all. Joshua used to scream at every bath when he was a baby, but Ryan just sits there until I'm finished. He smiles any time we look at him, usually. And I LOVE to hear him laugh (he still sucks in air after he lets out a giggle, which keeps us cracking up!). I also love to hear him coo and gab away.
There are so many precious things about a baby that I want to treasure these moments forever. While it's harder work when a little guy can't talk to tell you what's going on and can't walk or use the potty, it's so sweet just to cuddle and sing and smile at each other. I love the innocence, the moments where he grips my finger or pats my arm, and the immediate stop to his cry when I pick him up. He is such a sweet little guy! I love my babies. :)
The girl who took these pictures noted that in the one below, Ryan is giving us the finger. I've got a picture of my older boys each doing that, so why not Ryan too? I only ordered the top three, even though so many of them were cute!
Ryan is starting to be interested in toys some. I dug out some of the kids old toys like the little fish tank and bumble bee and little air bopper thing - next thing I know my older kids are each playing with their favorites from when they were a baby! I cracked up! They still like them, three and five years later. :) :) :) Ryan is just starting to act interested. Of course, each one gets drooled on first and then dropped. But, he's starting to look at them and try. I love it!
The morning of his birthday, Daddy was in bed most of the day from having his surgery the day before. Joshua & Caleb were with Mamaw & Papaw until nap time, so it was me and the Ry-guy playing and hanging out. He kept me busy! :) :) :)
I sing all sorts of silly songs to Ryan. The boys LOVE them - all three ask for my made-up songs. Okay, Ryan doesn't ask for them, but he smiles and giggles when I sing them which makes the other boys crack up and ask for more. I sing to the tune of "My Guy" - "nothing makes me feel the way I feel with you, you're my Ry-an!" I also sing to the tune of "oh good morning!" - "do you have one? do you have one? do you have a burpy for me, Ryan Josiah?" Now the boys join in as I'm feeding their little brother. I also made up a song (not sure if this is a tune to an old song or not):
When Daddy turns the big 35,
he will take us all for a drive.
Mommy will be the big 33,
she will be so pretty you see.
Joshua will be the big number 7,
we will visit with Missy & Kevin.
Caleb will be the big number 5,
he will dance and jump and jive.
But what about my little Schnook-a-lou?
He will be the BIG NUMBER 2! It's TRUE! That's YOU!

I sing this as I'm bicycling Ryan's feet, and I think Joshua gets the biggest kick out of it (although they all sing along and laugh at each age). Sad to think that those two years will go faster than I realize!
Looking at this greeting card the gal created makes me think of Christmas coming just around the corner. Today Mamaw gave us a stocking for baby Ryan for our fireplace (thank you so much!) and Mamaw & Papaw gave us a little ornament for our family (thank you!). Ryan is such a great addition to our family!
Happy four-month birthday, my little Schnook! Can't wait to see how much you weigh on Wednesday and see if they want you to start eating solid foods yet. You are getting to be such a big boy! And you're such a joy to have in our lives. :) I wouldn't trade you for all the tea in China, potatoes in Maine or any other silly expressions. You are a gift.

No comments: