Monday, October 10, 2011

Hide 'em in their hearts

One of Joshua's birthday gifts that I picked out but Grandpa Georgia gave him was a 2-CD set of "Hide 'em in your hearts" by Steve Green. The kids LOVE listening to the CD, but they only like the first two songs so far (we can't get past them because they keep asking us to go back and repeat what we've just listened to... OVER and OVER AGAIN!). Joshua's favorite is "Let the little children come to me, and do not hold them back" while Caleb LOVES "Do to others as you would have them do to you." I can hear them in my head as I  type.

Joshua's preschool class is learning songs from the second CD. When I put on "Encourage One Another" he knew all the words (which are word-for-word from the Bible) and the hand motions. It was adorable! This month they are singing "Give Thanks to the Lord for He is Good; His Love Endures Forever." The song asks you to think of five things you can say thank you to God for at the beginning before the song starts (that's the only thing that annoys me about the CD; rather than just playing the song there's an intro to each one which is SUPER annoying, especially when we're playing it repeatedly). But, it's a good reminder to give thanks!

This morning, I was working with Joshua on his preschool memory verse: "John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." My little buddy had already completed his homework of writing his name and writing the letter "H-h", but he didn't seem real interested in taking more time to look over his verse again. (I think his teacher this year is so neat - she gave us a key ring that we can add verses to as they learn them). So, I said "look, if and when you can tell me this verse word-for-word, I will give you a prize." He looked right at me and told me the entire thing. Then I had to look for a prize - I thought we were just working on a few phrases since he didn't seem to be interested, but he already knew it and just wasn't into our activity. I was surprised! And happy! I told him to go tell his Daddy, and Shawn told him how proud he was of him! :) :) :) Good job, little man! I gave him a little prize, and he was excited.

So, Caleb wanted a prize too. I dug out his preschool memory verse and we worked on it together. He was SO cute as we were working on it. Instead of being word-for-word from the Bible in the toddler class, his teacher has given them a concept to learn. His was "Isaiah 41:10 - Do not fear, for I will help you" taken from the NIV version of Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you;  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." To help him learn where the verse is found, I pointed to my 'eye' and then said 'say' pointing at my mouth and then 'uh' and then did four fingers, then one finger, then 10 big fingers when I shouted "ten!" He LOVED it! Then we gave a little "no" waving of our finger back and forth with "do not fear," and got a big smile when we said "for I will help you." He did really well with learning it then, and I gave him a little prize too (thanks, Mamaw & Papaw for leaving little marshmallow ice cream cones behind - they worked PERFECTLY!). Joshua said "Hey, I know Caleb's verse, too, can I get another prize?" Haaa!!! Now he was interested in memorizing verses with me!

I love to hide the Scripture in their hearts. You never know when they'll need them later in life and remember. I somehow know verses that I couldn't tell you how, but God brings them to mind. As we were eating our lunch together, I asked the boys how God has helped them, applying the verse that we learned together with Caleb. Joshua said that God helped us by creating the whole world. Yes, it's true! I said that God helped heal our boo-boos and was healing Daddy's foot and made his surgery go well. Yes, I am thankful! We talked a little more about how God helps us before finishing our lunch and heading upstairs for naps.

This morning Joshua had a pretty bad asthma attack and both kids have come down with colds. :( :( :( God helps us more than we realize - even waking us as parents up when we heard Joshua coughing so I could get him a breathing treatment. Once again my little Bean was completely disoriented until his breathing got back to a normal pattern. Please pray for him! Since we were all up at 4:30 am (roughly), I made the Bean nap with his little brother. All three are OUT! If I didn't have so much to accomplish, I would be too. Such is life! I'm thankful today for this beautiful weather and three amazing little boys along with an incredible husband, a nice extended family like my mama, and God's provision with our house and all we have to eat and clothing to wear and water to drink, etc. We are more blessed than a majority of the world! While I would love expensive things like a beautiful Coach bag I saw over this past weekend and some new bedding, etc. it's good to remember that I have more in my life than many rich people because of God's love and mercy. :)

No comments: