Saturday, October 29, 2011

Then a Spider Sat Down Beside Her...

Last Wednesday, October 19, I went to preschool to help out in Joshua's classroom. Since there was a field trip the following day, Mrs. Zimmerman wanted to make sure that the children finished their letter books that morning, so I helped out at a station with those while Mrs. Perez and Mrs. Zimmerman had their own letter and craft stations. It was fun! I loved seeing the kids in action. Ryan slept in his car seat/stroller off to the side while I helped the preschool kiddos write two words that the letter "a" in their letter books. Then they had to draw a picture of the word that they chose. I was impressed by two little girls and their artistic ability - one drew an ambulance and another drew an angel that were very impressive. Some of the little boys did well drawing "antlers" and "ants." Joshua chose the words "ax" and "alligator." And while he did well with writing the letters, he didn't know how to draw the pictures. I realized that we haven't done enough at home with drawing pictures.
So, this past Monday we worked on drawing different pictures. He told me that he knows how to draw a house, which is true. I would give him a picture to draw and we would think through the shapes in the picture together to make one. We did a pumpkin, a baby, a banana, a book, a car and a few other ones. He did great! At first he got frustrated that it didn't come to him naturally, but I held him and explained that Ryan doesn't know how to draw pictures, go potty or play Wii. These are things that we will teach him as he gets bigger. So, I need to teach Joshua how to draw. It made sense to him then, and he calmed down and enjoyed the rest of our craft time. Caleb also sat with us and drew a jack-o-lantern and a baby. He loses interest in activities quicker than Joshua does, but I think that's a sign of their ages and personality types.

Anyway, on that Wednesday, I only helped out in the classroom for about half an hour, and then Ryan & I came home. When we went back to preschool, I picked up Caleb from his classroom first. He had a SPIDER hat! It was SO cute! And he had a spider craft in his bag. When we got Joshua, he was also wearing a black hat. I asked him if he was a spider too - and he said "I'm an ANT!" Of course, it was "A" week! So, I had a spider and an ant who walked out of preschool together. We picked up Daddy right away and all ate lunch together.

Then Mamaw came over to watch the boys for a half hour while Daddy got his stitches out at the doctor. We saw Dr. Hughes who seemed confused at first - then he laughed and said "No wonder I don't remember your surgery - I didn't perform it!" Indeed, Dr. Effis had performed it, but he was on vacation so Dr. Hughes was the surgeon we saw for his follow-up appointment. The nurse took out the stitches and said "these are tight" as Shawn winced in pain. I felt terrible for him! I told him it's rough to see him in so much pain, and he laughed at me and said "sounds like YOU have had a rough day" as he winked at me. I laughed and told him maybe I needed to lie down... ha!

When we got home, one of the boys accidentally kicked Shawn's foot, and blood was EVERYWHERE! My poor carpet (I know, my priorities, right?). I called the doctor's office who said that it could bleed for a little bit and not be a problem unless the sterile strips fell off and the wound was open or if the wound looked infected. So, we figured it was probably fine. Poor hubby! He worked from home that afternoon, as I recall, and then that night we watched TV in bed after the kids went to sleep, I think. We love the show "Modern Family" that airs Wednesday night. It was a fairly relaxing day!

I'm glad the 'ant' and 'spider' we saw in our house that day were these two adorable faces. Otherwise, these are not welcome in our house! But, if they come in the form of sweet hats, we'll let them dwell with us! :) :) :)

No comments: