Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happy 39-months, Caleb Luke!

On Saturday, October 8, Caleb turned 39-months old. That day, he spent the night with Nonie & Poppy while Daddy rested. Here are some pictures of him helping me make brownies the week before - he LOVES to help in the kitchen. I think one of the reasons is that he enjoys chocolate and gets to lick the beaters clean. But, I know the other reason is because he highly enjoys being a helper. He's getting better and better at being a true helper, too, which is a reflection of him growing.
The weekend of his birthday, he wet his pants for both Mamaw & Papaw and Nonie & Poppy. We hadn't been experiencing accidents, so I was aghast. BUT, I soon discovered when Caleb was home that he was struggling with his pants. Only a couple days before Daddy's surgery, I had went through all the drawers and removed all 3T things that were now way small (at least length-wise!), moved 4T items into Caleb's dresser and moved Joshua's 5T items into his drawers. I put shorts away and got out pants as the days have now been consistently cooler. With all these changes, I didn't think about the fact that I had every pair of 4T pants cinched in to its maximum capacity to do so. Every morning I help Caleb get his pants fastened, and they fit him just fine. But, he's been able to pull off his old clothing with ease and not have to worry about snaps and zippers. With these larger (AKA LONGER!) pants, they are actually skinnier in the waste than what he was used to. And while Caleb is very thin, he's not as small around as his big brother was. So, combined with Caleb's complete stubbornness and unwillingness to ask for help and instead try to get the pants off himself, I think he could no longer hold it and would simply go when he couldn't work the pants. When I'm with him and would notice him struggling, I would simply yank them down and not ask him if he needed help, I realized. After the accidents, I asked him what was going on and he admitted that he was trying, thought he already did try to go, and finally in defeat that he couldn't get his pants off without help. I have fixed all the pants letting out a few buttons, and I haven't had another episode since (although, he hasn't been away since either, but he hasn't had problems at preschool, etc). Hopefully that solved the issue!
Caleb's sleeping patterns have recently changed as well. (Either that or Joshua's have, which reflects on Caleb since they are in the same room.) Now, Caleb is the last one to go to bed and my first boy up in the morning. He will fight going to sleep until 10 pm (on their clock, so 9 pm "real time") and he's up by 6 am real time. It seems like he doesn't want to miss anything going on. He comes in to snuggle us early in the morning and make sure we're still there. I love to snuggle my little guys, so I don't mind but there are times that at night, it does test our patience when he wants one more story, one more song, one more potty trip, one more drink of water. I need to remind myself to stay consistent while also showing him love and remembering that some day, I will miss these moments when all they want to do is cuddle and have some undivided attention.
Caleb has skads of energy! I don't even think "skads" is a word, but you get the idea. Last night we took brownies over to our neighbors, and he bounced around their front porch as he couldn't stand still for two minutes. They just laughed at his adorableness. :) He LOVES to play outside and run! I love when he has time to do so.
We've been learning Bible verses - some suggestions through preschool, others from our CDs. I love to hear the kids sing! And them reciting God's word is music to my mama ears. Caleb originally said Isaiah 41:10 as "Do not fear THAT I will help you." It made me chuckle. Now he says it correctly - "Do not fear, for I will help you!"
Caleb is always asking where his friend Daddy is... he was so concerned with Shawn's surgery. But, he's such a lovey dovey that he's also come the closest to hurting Daddy's injury. Shawn is very patient with our little Caleb, though, and reminds me of Jesus in saying "let the little children come to me!" :) 
Caleb likes to be able to do things himself. While at times that can drive me crazy because it's faster if I can help him, I think it is a strong attribute to have later in life. He will be able to figure things out and do things himself and help others. It has also been a blessing as Ryan takes more of my time that Caleb can get dressed by himself for the most part and get ready to a good extent, etc.

Caleb had his 6-month check-up at the dentist yesterday and has NO cavities and no plaque. The dentist said everything looks good and that his bite is such that he most likely will grind his teeth at night (does he get that honestly, or what? My little Caleb reminds me of my husband in almost every way!). We'll know more about his 'funny' tooth and what will be needed in the future as far as possible orthodontics once they take x-rays. Not sure when that will be, but I was glad for the good report that everything currently looks good. He was very brave at the dentist! We had the father this time, who is a lot more intimidating, but Caleb held in there as his teeth were cleaned.

Happy 39-month birthday, my little love! I am SO glad you're in my life! :) :) :)

No comments: