Tuesday, October 18, 2011

10/10/11, 10/11/11

On Monday October 10, we celebrated the one-year anniversary of officially knowing that Ryan was going to join our family. This year, it fell on Columbus Day as well. Shawn asked me to check the mail for him, and I went out and looked - DOH! No mail! Should have known! That morning was Shawn's follow-up doctor's visit, so Mamaw came to stay with the boys. We got there, and the people at the desk told us that Shawn's appointment wasn't until Wednesday. Well, I had not one but TWO papers saying that his appointment was that morning at 9:45 am because Shawn had stolen my original in his loopy state (it still cracks me up! he seemed so with it and yet so wasn't!). Evidently someone screwed up, but it wasn't a big deal. They told us to have a seat and that Dr. Effis would work us in soon enough. The surgeon was young and seemed very 'hands off' to me - BUT he did tell Shawn to keep on crutches for at least another week to ten days to let it heal. They would talk about increasing his activity at his next appointment, which I scheduled for October 19 when he'll get his stitches removed. Unfortunately his surgeon is on vacation, but Dr. Hughes will take them out (the same doctor who performed Shawn's knee surgery). Shawn isn't allowed to drive but has been going to work through Valerie's taxi service. :) :) :) I am blessed to have a car and the ability to drive! Thanks, Mamaw, for watching our kiddos for us.
That afternoon I had my six-month dental cleaning. Joshua said he wanted to play at Aunt Jen's house while I was getting them done, but Caleb was still napping when I left. I also left Ryan with Shawn even though my original plan was to take him. But, Daddy said I could leave him behind on our king size bed while Daddy was there with his leg propped up. I think they've bonded as Ryan now grins from ear to ear when he sees Shawn. :)

The next day was Study & Share, and I found Ryan "making eyes" (as the little old ladies called it) at another baby in the room. The women sat both of them up in little exersaucer things and they were having a blast gabbing at each other! I think you can tell Ryan is used to having social interaction with his brothers! I loved that he had a fun morning while I enjoyed my time out.
That evening the boys & I met my friend Rebecca and her three kiddos at McDonald's for dinner and playland time. The above picture is Chloe enjoying her hot mustard sauce. My boys had a blast playing with her kids, and we agreed it was God who introduced us to one another. I'm so thankful for another mama friend who is also trying to live for Christ! Before we left, I took this picture of the kids together (and Ryan asleep in his car seat above).
I had told her about picking Ryan up and how much fun he was having, and she swung by on Thursday with her exersaucer for Ryan to borrow. We have another toy that's somewhat similar that we borrowed from another friend, but it's a jumping one. Ryan doesn't have the upper body strength/stability to jump yet, but he can enjoy standing/sitting in a stationary toy that does help him work on his physical strength. He enjoys it in small doses so far. Thanks, Rebecca, for lending it to us! It's perfect!!!

No comments: