Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Severe Weather Drill

 Last Tuesday, October 18, we had a severe weather drill at Study & Share. When I dropped my little Ryan off, there were two very sweet elderly ladies in the nursery. I was glad to see them both there and ready to love on my little Ry-guy! But, when I saw the worried look on their faces, they told me that they were having a fire drill in the nursery. They weren't quite sure if they could wheel multiple babies in a crib and she needed to ask someone. I told her that I would easily come back for Ryan and help them when she responded, "NO! That's the whole point. If something would happen, you can't come here for your kids. You need to be safe and trust that we get your baby out." Well, I wasn't so sure about trusting that morning. I got to class and heard that we were having a "severe weather drill" and had to go to an interior room downstairs in the event of a tornado. One of my mommy friends told me that she was in the building last year when they called for a tornado warning and it wasn't a drill when the kids were in the hallway face in between their laps singing songs to keep them calm. Oh my goodness!

I worry far too much about my kids anyway. But, this morning I kept praying for my little men - all three of them because I figured they might all have drills if Ryan was and we as women were. Would the little old ladies be okay with my little man, I wondered? I shuddered at the thought of real severe weather or a real fire when they tell us that we can't go and get our kids. At least the woman in charge told us she realizes that it goes against every fiber of our mommy being not to go get our kids. But, I also realize why they say that and make evacuation routes for the safety over everyone.

The morning's lesson was good (after the drill was done) and once again I was thankful to be there. I love my group and I love learning about God's word. We're studying "Covenant" by Kay Arthur and I would highly recommend it! When I went back to the nursery to see how Ryan was after it was over, he was the ONLY BABY THERE! The two little old women told me that he did just fine but didn't like to be wheeled around in the crib until they turned him over so he could see out. But, he was fine and they said that they tried to keep him happy all morning. Two workers to one child is my kind of ratio!!! I was SO glad. They seemed relieved too. Often they have four or more babies to two workers, but on this day Ryan was the only one. :) :) :)
This past Tuesday, there was the same woman (who I like) in there and another volunteer mom. The volunteer mom told me that she has a 10 and 11 year old and enjoyed having Ryan. This time there were two babies to two workers. So, this woman held him all morning long. :) Again, I felt very blessed. I realize that it won't always go this way, but I'm thankful when I get a morning to be in study & share and I think it makes me a better mom to have the occasional break to reflect on the important things of life and be encouraged and challenged by other mamas walking the same path.

In these pictures, Ryan is playing on his quilt made by Mamaw's own hands, and Joshua decided to go play with him. He is a kind big brother, and so is Caleb! Ryan loves his soft blanket. :)

No comments: