Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a nice day overall. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera with me to my sister's, and I didn't realize Shawn had it with us at Nonie & Poppy's until the end of the night. Thus, I don't have any pictures from the day, but I thought I'd post Joshua's school picture that I just picked up. Didn't he look so handsome?

Shawn went out early Thanksgiving morning to buy a newspaper (so we could look at the Black Friday ads) and a breakfast sandwich from Sheetz, which wasn't fantastic but saved us from cooking that morning. The thought of it was truly sweet. The boys enjoyed playing that morning while we scoped out the ads and then we all dressed in nicer khaki, cream, brown and orange colors to head to our first meal. My sister Jen hosted my side of the family, which included Grandpa Georgia, Becky & Tim, our family and Jen's entire family (Grandma & Ken opted not to come this year). Dad bought all the ingredients and helped peel potatoes, and Jen & Mike made most of the meal that day. The turkey was delicious, and they also had mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade rolls and stuffing. Becky brought salad and sparkling grape juice and we took the pumpkin and apple pies. My boys barely ate two bites before they wanted to get down and play with their cousins, but us adults enjoyed the meal (thanks for hosting, Jen!).

We left late to get the boys a short nap before heading to Berks County for our second meal with Nonie & Poppy. Poppy makes an outstanding, moist turkey every year, and all the fixings that everyone contribute are also really good. Unfortunately, I wasn't really hungry (I actually didn't feel well most of that day), but I still sampled a few bites of a few things, which is again more than the boys ate. Joshua didn't eat at all there, but he was so excited to play and we didn't want to fight with him on the holiday.

Joshua loves playing with his cousin Jordon, and Jordon gave both boys a great big bear hug before they left that night. It was adorable (and I was sad I didn't get a picture of it!). We enjoyed catching up with the adults, too. Great Grandma Mary told me at the end of the evening "Have a good pregnancy." Thinking she was going to say "Have a good night," I responded "You, too." Then I laughed and said "uh, I guess not. I meant have a good night." She chuckled, too.

We had a really good time at both events, and the boys highly enjoyed playing. They came home and went to bed while we finished making our plans for the following day. The next day we watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving episode with the boys, and I was reminded once again what the people went through to come to America. Most of them died along the journey or at the conditions here after they arrived. But, God provided for the remaining families, and most of the children survived the entire ordeal.

Once again, I was thankful for God's provision. There are many times that I wish we had more money in general. But, I was reminded that we come into this world naked and naked we depart. The things that are most important in life we have in abundance. I am particularly thankful for a God who gives us unending grace and provided salvation for us, a husband who never ceases to amaze me and who I love completely, two precious little boys who are healthy and happy, another baby to love, extended family to spend time with, friends who make life more enjoyable, the Bible as a road map to life, a house that keeps us warm and out of the elements, reliable transportation, clothing, food and most of all love. In reality, I have more than most folks, even if it's not in terms of worldly wealth. So, here's to thankful heart and a joyous holiday season! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: