Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Work of Art

In keeping with the theme of Thanksgiving, I'm assuming the above creation (which Joshua made at preschool) was supposed to be a turkey, but it reminded me an awful lot of a potato head as well. The Monday of Thanksgiving week, I called Grandpa Georgia to see if he wanted to get our shopping done that day instead of Tuesday. We had planned to go out the following day, but the forecast was calling for rain. So, he agreed to go Monday instead. Our first stop was the farmer's stand for cheap apples, followed by Costco for some things I needed like wipes and pesto sauce for a casserole I was planning on making that evening. Next we went to Giant, where I purchased pie crust since I don't own a rolling pin. It was a busy morning out, and thankfully the boys were well-behaved. That night for dinner I made my pesto tortellini casserole, and it tasted really good. Joshua ate quite a bit of it!
The above picture is of Joshua's "gray squirrel" from preschool which he glued 'fur' on. Some were completely covered in fur - Joshua's must need some Rogaine! Tuesday morning while the Bean was at preschool, Grandpa came over to help me peel and slice apples. Unfortunately, our microwave (which is also our second oven, built into our cabinetry) died. It smelled really hot and plastic-like but didn't heat anything up. I was devastated. As I read my recipe, which called for melted butter, I had to do everything on the stove top, which stank. I was so annoyed! How can anyone live without a microwave these days? I baked four apple pies that morning while Joshua was in school, giving two to Dad to take to Aunt Jen's for Thanksgiving Day, along with a pumpkin pie, one to him to share with Uncle Jim & Aunt Karen, and kept one back to take to Nonie & Poppy's with another pumpkin pie.
When it was time to get Joshua from preschool, the oven was still going, so Grandpa agreed to stay behind with Caleb. Caleb loves to have "little talks" and Grandpa asked him to have one. He started by asking "who's your girlfriend?" like he does to Joshua on occasion (who always answers 'mama'). But, Caleb surprised him and said, "Aunt Jen." Haaa!!! The pictures below are of Joshua's pizza and ice cream cone art. Yummy! They did a healthy foods 'study' at school, and when asked his favorite food, Joshua replied "bread."
Joshua was also asked what he was thankful for this Thanksgiving. Most children responded 'my family' but not the Bean. His response was "playing and watching movies." Another child answered "ketchup." So cute! Love these little responses. The day after Thanksgiving, Joshua told us that he was thankful for Mommy, Daddy and Caleb. :) :) :)
On Wednesday, Joshua had a little 'Thanksgiving Feast' at preschool, where he told me he did NOT try the soup but did enjoy the rolls. He had this little turkey place mat to hand me, and he was so proud of his turkey. It's laminated, and it describes his answers for how to cook a turkey. In case you can't read it, it says (his answers will be in caps) "First I would get a turkey FROM THE FARM. Then I would put it in THE TREE and sprinkle it with SOME FEATHERS. I would cook it for ONE HOUR. When it was done, we would START TO EAT. It will taste delicious." No wonder he didn't want to eat the soup!

Grandma came over Wednesday afternoon to visit the boys a little, and that evening I had worship practice. I remember years past going out for the night before Thanksgiving, but not this year. My 'partying' happens with my little guys now, and it's fun in a much different but more meaningful way.

No comments: