Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Bean is the Big 5-0!

On Thursday, November 18, Joshua turned 50 months old. I see him growing in so many ways, and yet he will always be my 'baby.' One thing that is definitely changing is his imagination, which is growing in leaps and bounds. He told Daddy that he built our house for him, he tells us that he thinks the sharks might come in if we don't lock our doors, and many other 'tall tales.' But, his toys also interact as he plays with them, which is fascinating to watch.
Joshua's singing voice is also pretty impressive (if you ask me, and as his mom, I'm sure I'm biased!). He remembers the words to so many songs, and he sings in tune. Even his preschool teacher commented on how well he sings, as did someone at our church. He also told his preschool teacher that we sing a 'leaves' song everyday at home (a song that I don't even know!). Haaaa!!! I realize that at this age, he's not trying to lie, but I've read that kids at this age have such vivid imaginations that they forget what's real and what they've made up in their mind and have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
On Joshua's actual 50th birthday, he went to preschool. That evening, after dinner, Daddy rearranged the boys' bedroom (with a little help from the mama). Shawn no more than finished the project and said "this should keep them from jumping from Joshua's bed onto Caleb's" when the Bean shot off his bed and projected into the air onto Caleb's, which is now further away. He immediately received a time out (where Caleb is sitting in the above picture with his Christmas teddy bear), and they haven't done it since. Silly boys!
Caleb is still sleeping on the trundle bed, which we have not popped up yet. He's fallen out twice that I've heard, but luckily it's just a short roll onto the floor. Joshua seems to enjoy sharing his room, which makes me happy. As much as he hoards his toys, he enjoys spending time with his little brother and enjoys the company in his room. While that hasn't stopped the Bean from coming over to our room in the middle of the night to 'snuggle' or because he's scared or has to go potty, he now doesn't want to go to bed without Caleb Luke with him.
We had fun in our pajamas that evening before turning in for the night. The boys love to sing night-night to the whole family, so it's become tradition that Daddy & I take turns snuggling the boys and we all sing together before saying prayers and tucking them in their blankets.
Joshua is doing well with writing and letter sounds. He also enjoys doing crafts, playing with cars and trucks and plains and trains, and spending time with other people. He is definitely a people person! He also has a fiery temper, but I think it's because he has such an exuberant personality - when he's happy, there's nothing better. When he's sad, it's big tears. When he's angry, YIKES! But, that's part of what makes him special.
Joshua is a big helper, and I think he's very trustworthy. I can't explain exactly what I mean, but I trust him not to get into things that he shouldn't, to help people if I'm not here and a babysitter needs something, etc. It's a nice feeling. I think he's growing to be a super neat kiddo! And I love him to pieces. Happy 50th birthday, my 'big' little Bean!

No comments: