Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ol' Mr. Bean Had a Farm, E-I-E-I-O

The weeks are flying by and I haven't felt like updating the blog. It's not for lack of stories or fun times with the boys, but typically these days when they rest, I am too. I know that this, too, shall pass! This past Thursday, Joshua's class had a little harvest party. As a Christian preschool, they don't celebrate Halloween, but his teacher did encourage children to dress up either as farmers or a farm animal. I didn't have either type of costume (as I had mentioned before), so I found this pair of Thomas overalls, we had this flannel shirt, the shoes were his, and we had bought the hat and bandanna for less than $5 at Walmart. I loved the picture above with him and the pumpkin he decorated at school that morning in front of the leaves on the tree. Is he not the handsomest kid you've ever seen? I certainly think so! I assumed most of the other kids would dress like animals, but they turned out to be a majority of farmers for those who actually dressed up. Here's the class pictures that Mrs. Dearborn took:
Since then, we've been singing a lot of "Old MacDonald" as a family. Joshua's favorite line is 'chicken' with a 'bock-bock here.' He laughs and laughs. He, Caleb & Daddy like to play a game where they pretend to sleep and wake one another as different animals and their sounds. Caleb keeps cracking me up as he says he wants to be a bunny and 'ribit.' Shawn says "a frog says 'ribit' vs. a bunny 'rabbit.' Do you want to be a frog?" Caleb always responds "Yes!" but then says the same thing his next turn.

This game started as we've put Caleb into Joshua's room to sleep to test the waters. He's slept in there for two weeks straight, but none of us have gotten a ton of sleep. The first night we pulled out the trundle underneath the Bean's bed, Caleb and Joshua both decided to climb on the Bean's bed and jump down to the smaller one. Oh, BOYS! We let it be known that this was not good bedtime behavior. The next night, Caleb didn't want to stay in bed. Now that he's finally staying in bed, they're enjoying the time of talking to each other. And Joshua will 'read' Caleb a book. In the middle of the night, Caleb doesn't wander, but since we've told him not to leave his bed, Shawn goes in many times if he even makes a peep in the middle of the night (I'd be more apt to let him cry it out). Caleb couldn't find his cup, then he ran out of water in his cup, then he needed covered again, etc. I know eventually we'll get them in a routine, but it's been a tiring two weeks. Finally, Joshua told us last night that Caleb wouldn't stop talking, and Caleb agreed to go back to his crib. We need to rearrange the room better if we're going to continue to have them share. I'd like to invest in bunk beds, but Shawn feels they're too dangerous at this age. So, we need a better solution, if there is one. I really don't want to give up our playroom/office so it would be nice if the boys could share. I think it's possible, but we'll have to see what works.

Moving on to more farmer talk, the other song that's been a favorite of the boys lately is "Tractor, Tractor" which Daddy and I enjoy, too. They'll sing it word for word... "Back hoe, back hoe, digging up the dirt... fire truck, fire truck, zooming down the street." And then when the song gets to the silly part, they'll sing that word-for-word as well. It's a fun song.
Shawn & I realized that it's less than 8 weeks until Christmas! I feel like there's lots to do before then, but we're enjoying each month and each season with the boys. I love fall leaves and pumpkins, thanksgiving, and all the time in between.

No comments: