Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shopping, Decorating & Holiday Spirit

Grandpa Georgia arrived just before 6 am on Black Friday, and Shawn & I were ready to go. The boys woke up when he arrived, so I changed Caleb's diaper and told Dad where to find things like breakfast for the boys, etc. Then we were off for our annual tradition of fun. I think this year was one of my favorites. While I felt nauseous that morning, our first stop was for breakfast bagels and juice, which did the trick (along with my medicine). Then we went to Home Depot to grab a cheap little microwave, buying us time until we figure out what we want to do with our current kitchen set up. Do we want to buy an identical microwave/oven to put in the broken one's place or do we want to get a traditional double oven which would be bigger? Either one will require us hiring someone to uninstall the old one and install the new one, which we figure will be a nice chunk of change. But, I can't live without a microwave until we decide, and Home Depot had one on special for $29 the morning of Black Friday. When we arrived, I asked for a black one, and we ended up buying the display model since the color was sold out. I was glad we got there when we did, because white would not match our kitchen. It was a good feeling to get what we wanted!
From there, our next stop was the Walmart in Ephrata. And we were genuinely surprised that neither store we had been to was that busy. The Walmart was a bit of a cluster simply because the workers were out of sorts and kept trying to move skids around, but there was no one in line at the check-outs. We got everything on our list except for storage bins, which we simply didn't see. I was glad to find everything and that everything rang up the correct advertised price. We left there and hit the CVS in Ephrata for all the freebies advertised, including things like deoderant, shampoo, lotion, etc.
Our next stop was AC Moore. They have a TON of toys, and they advertised their trains as buy one, get one 50% off. While we didn't buy any trains (we find we can get them cheaper places like eBay), we found a ton of great stocking stuffers for the boys for $1 each. Then we used a 30% off coupon, which they took, so for a few dollars we have some great Cars & Toy Story crafts. Then I went into Michael's across the street for a coloring set for Joshua (it had paints, crayons, colored pencils and all sorts of things) for $3 and the woman also gave me a coupon to use, bringing it down to $2. Shawn went into Giant while I was there for something, and we met back at the car. Since we were having a good time and no one was out, we decided to go to the mall. And while it was packed, we found parking immediately. We bought some window lights on sale at Boscov's, and I know we had a couple other bags there that day, but I don't remember what we bought or where. We split a quick Chinese lunch before heading to the Bon-Ton Furniture Outlet, who advertised a brand-name real leather rocker-recliner for a decent price. Mom told me that if we liked it, she would buy it for us (since it was on our Christmas list). It was nice enough, so we scheduled the delivery.
About that time, Grandpa called to say that we should come home, so we headed straight there. He said the boys were fine, but they were getting tired. That was okay because we were tired, too. We went out to Joshua's favorite pizza restaurant that night for supper, and I called and invited to treat Dad for watching the boys, but he declined. While that's highly unusual, I didn't think much about it until he called the next day. He told me he hadn't been feeling well that morning when he called, but he realized the following day that he had forgotten to eat anything. Since he's diabetic, his lack of calories/sugar combined with his insulin intake made him feel very sick. I felt bad that he didn't eat, and I told him he needs to be careful! But, I was glad he was feeling better the next day.
Saturday morning, Grandma called to see if I'd like to shop some more. After checking with Shawn, I said 'sure' and I was back off to the mall. We had a great time! While the stores were crowded (and we ran into a few 'slow' sales clerks), it was a fun morning out. We found a couple good deals, and Grandma bought a Christmas outfit for Joshua (which matches his one from last year that Caleb can fit in now), and I found a pair maternity jeans and two nice shirts. While it's great that I lost weight from my last pregnancy, most of my maternity clothes are much too big and I hate spending money on something I know I'll only wear a few months. When I got back, Shawn had spent the morning cleaning the house while also entertaining the boys. He is such a fantastic husband! That had been on my agenda for the day, but he had cleaned the bathrooms and swept the floors, etc. Since we were both exhausted, we got takeout for dinner that night using a type of gift card Shawn had. It was nice to relax with the boys and my handsome hubby.
Sunday morning I was on the worship team. I thought the service went well, and I napped with the kids when I got home. Aunt Becky called to ask if she & Tim could come over to watch the football game that evening, and I said sure. She played Chutes & Ladders with the boys (which has become a nightly ritual almost) and chatted with me as I started getting out the Christmas decorations. They also brought frozen pizzas with them, which I baked in the oven and we all enjoyed. When the game was done, they went home, and the boys & I started decorating the Christmas tree that Shawn had put up (where all these pictures are from).
I have to say this was the best year yet for decorating. The boys picked out decorations and helped hang them on the tree. At first I would show them where to put them, but as the night wore on, they decided to put them where they wanted them (all along the bottom branches, together). They were SO excited! They each put on their special ornaments from Mamaw that have their names and birth dates on them, as well as many other ornaments (which I helped spread out at times). They LOVE the Christmas tree, and they sit in awe and look at it every night when Daddy gets home from work. They ask me to make it light up, and they tell everyone we talk to how they helped put up our tree. I love it! It is so neat to experience these things through a child's eyes.
It was soon time for baths and bed, but it was great to see the tree decorated, the stockings hung by the fireplace with care, and most of our inside decorations up.
Monday morning, I woke up and didn't feel well. But, I didn't think much about it until the morning wore on. My headache turned into a migraine, and once again even with the medication, I couldn't stop vomiting. I called my mom, begging her to rescue me and once again she took the boys to her house. This time, I passed out in bed. She brought the boys home, fed them lunch, and put them to bed. I called Shawn in tears. My head hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. He came right home. I stayed in bed the whole day, only getting up to throw up. That night he called the OBGYN, who said she didn't think that the migraine was baby related and the only thing I could take besides tylenol (which didn't stay down or help) would be morphine, administered by the ER. I didn't feel well enough to drive anywhere, and I was wary of taking anything that might affect the baby. So, I stayed in bed. The following morning, my sister picked up Joshua for preschool and my snack for study 'n share (which Shawn bought at the store rather than me baking). Thankfully since Bible study is at Calvary, she was able to take the Bean with her and bring him home.  She also bought them lunch at McDonald's (thanks so much!). While I was feeling somewhat better, my head was still pounding, so I snuggled with Caleb most of the morning and let him watch TV. While that's not what I would normally do, I just wanted to survive the day. I had a casserole in the freezer that I had made, and I was able to pop that into the oven for dinner that night, thankfully.
By Wednesday I felt human again, praise God! Caleb & I played "the laundry game" (thankfully he enjoys helping me) and I did our dishes and things I hadn't felt like doing the past couple days. Joshua was also "star helper of the day" at preschool, meaning he took snack in (and once again my wonderful husband stepped up the the plate and bought sliced apples and graham cracker Scooby snacks for Joshua to take in with him). Along with snack, he had to take three things for show 'n tell that reminded him of Christmas. When I asked him, his response was "Santa, the Christmas tree, and presents." So, I found the picture of him with Santa from last year and printed it out, grabbed an ornament off  the Christmas tree, and I put a train in his bag, reminding him that it was a present from last year. His teacher said he did a great job. Then she added, "He's always great." I'm so thankful that he enjoys school and does a good job! He thrives on the attention of being "star helper of the day" and I love to see him shine.
While he was at school, Caleb & I played the morning away. We mainly played blocks, and we would create towers and houses and make patterns. It was a fun morning, and I'm glad that I got to spend it with him since I had been so sick the past few days. When Joshua got home, he also played blocks with us before his nap.
We also watched Rudolph together last night. Joshua didn't quite understand why Rudolph's daddy didn't like him. I realized how emotionally traumatizing that would be to a young little guy. Joshua ADORES his Daddy, and the thought of a daddy not liking his kid really, really upset Joshua. I explained that Donner just didn't like Rudolph's nose, but it was his unique nose that made him the 'star of the day' and Santa's special helper. He still asks about Rudolph and his Daddy, but he seems to understand a little more.
We also watched the movie "Elf" with the kids, and Joshua LOVED it! He keeps asking what it was called, though. He also asked me "what is it when you have a little man, and you put him in the oven and he comes out different?" At first, I had no idea what he meant, but then I asked "do you mean a gingerbread man?" And his reply was "Yes! That's it!" Haaa!!! So cute what they think about these days. I'm hoping that tomorrow we can write our letters to Santa. I also told the boys the story of Jesus being born, and I'll continue to do so throughout the rest of the month.  I don't want Santa and presents to take away from the true reason for the season. After all, how amazing is it that our Lord & King was born as a baby here on earth! May we never take it for granted.

No comments: