Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Can Hear Your Heartbeat

On Wednesday, December 15, I had a baby doctor's appointment at 10:45 am. I packed a bunch of things for Caleb to do, and we tried to get there early in hopes of picking up Joshua at 11:30 from preschool (Grandma was on-call in case we didn't make it). We arrived at the doctor's office, and I told them my name. Caleb went right up to the receptionist and said "I'm Caleb Luke." She smiled at him, and I giggled. Monkey see, monkey do. Then we sat down. I took out our Sesame Street coloring book and crayons, and he colored a bunch of pages for me. When he tired of this activity, I put it away and took out his new Rudolph book, which I began to read to him. He also said he'd rather have a snack, so he munched while I read. In the meantime, I saw three or four people go back that came in after me, one of which said her appointment was also at 10:45. At this point, we were running behind schedule, and I was not thrilled. I realize that they have a small office, though, and I knew I was probably scheduled for a different doctor than they were. FINALLY, they called my name.

We walked back, and Caleb tried to jump on the scale with me. No need, sugar! That number's high enough by itself. :( Then we went into the room, and I gave Caleb his little computer and he started listening to the letters while the gal checked my blood pressure. When she was done, I got down and sat with Caleb and gave him letters to guess. He got them all right, and it helped pass the time. Just as he was tiring of this little machine, the doctor walked in. So, I got out the DVD player and put on his Words movie, after confirming with the doctor that that was okay with her.

The doctor searched for the baby's heart beat for a long time. I prayed and prayed that she'd be able to find it since she couldn't the last time and it always makes me nervous. Eventually, she did. Praise God! And the baby's heartbeat sounds just fine. She explained that by the third pregnancy your uterus is already stretched out and yet the baby's heart is still small, so it takes some time to find. She asked me how I'd been feeling, and I told her well for the most part except for a few more days of extreme nausea. She said that it's normal to come and go, and it's good to just grin and bear. Hopefully it will all pass soon! But, it doesn't for everyone. She also commented that my blood pressure was a little elevated. Since I typically run low, they're going to keep an eye on it, particularly since I experienced problems with my first pregnancy. That was it! The rest looked good, thankfully. And Caleb did a great job throughout our time there. I wasn't sure what to expect, but he did just fine. My next appointment is the morning before my ultrasound. :)

We raced out of there, and I called Mom, who was already backing into a parking space at the preschool. She dropped Joshua off a couple minutes after I got home (thanks so much!). It was a good morning over all.

Here's the baby's development over the past couple weeks:

Week 14
Our baby is a whopping 3 1/2 inches long and is 1 to 2 ounces. S/he begins to practice inhaling and exhaling movements. The eyes and ears continue to move and develop, the neck is still getting longer, and the baby's chin no longer rests on his/her chest. The hands are becoming functional, and the baby is beginning to learn to move/use them (probably more reflex than anything). At this point, our little one is receiving all of his/her nourishment from the placenta.

Week 15
If you have an ultrasound now, you may notice your baby sucking his/her thumb. The bones are getting harder each day. The baby's skin is very thin and transparent; you can see blood vessels through the skin. Lanugo, a very fine hair, covers the body and will continue growing on the baby until around the 26th gestational week of pregnancy.

No comments: