Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dear Santa, I Was Born a "Good" Boy!

Saturday, I finally decided it was time that we write our letters to Santa. After all, it will take some time for them to reach the North Pole! I found some Christmas paper, and I asked the boys to sit at the table with me to write them. We wrote Caleb's letter first. I told him that we always start with saying "Dear Santa" and that we should probably say 'hi' and ask him how he's doing, and maybe about Mrs. Clause, Rudolph or the elves. Then I asked him what he wanted for Christmas. His response? A box! I think maybe he meant a present, but I'm not sure - boxes can be great fun for little guys with imaginations! Then I started writing what he would say, and his letter is pictured below:
In case you can't read it, it says:
"Dear Santa, Hi! How's Rudolph? How are the elves? I am a good boy! I would like a box for Christmas please. I also want a Boody & a Buzz Light Year. I'd like a water shaker, any potatoes, more crazy creatures (a little one) and those lights. I want a car, too. I have both toys and me too! And a doggie, a WOOF! That's what I like. I like pictures. I like Daddy! He went to the store. And a Dora. I am! Yes, I want more trains PLEASE! And a baseball in a Christmas basket - what I like, too. And colors! And a cup of milky! That's funny! I all done! I like a starfish, too. Yeah, that's it. Love, Caleb."
I was genuinely surprised at some of his list. I wasn't shocked that he likes Boody and Buzz Light Year (although I was surprised to hear his full name). The 'water shaker' is another snow globe, which I did pick up for him, and I asked him if he'd like more potato head dolls to dress up, which he agreed to (any potatoes). I also prompted the crazy creatures (which are those Kinex toys), but he's the one that said he wanted "a little one" and "those lights." I have no idea what "those lights" are. He also is the one that said he wanted a doggy, a WOOF! Poor little guy - no doggies coming this year! He also said he likes pictures and Daddy, of course, who had left to go to the store. He's also the want that said he wanted his baseball in a 'Christmas basket,' which again, I have no clue what he means by a Christmas basket, but I giggled at the expression. And, he was telling me he was thirsty when he asked for a cup of milky, and then said it was funny that we were asking Santa for it. But, after he said he was done, he said he wanted a starfish, unprompted. I've looked several places and haven't found one yet, though. So, we'll see if Santa gets him one this year! I loved his list, though. And I helped him sign his name in crayon. He modeled his finished letter by the Christmas tree for me.
Then we started working on Joshua's, who sat and patiently waited (also giggling with Caleb) while we wrote his younger brother's. Now, Joshua is getting better and better at writing, and even letters that aren't in his name. So, I let him write "Santa" and sign his own name on the letter. The one thing I did wrong was start him writing in all uppercase letters. Now, he at times struggles with writing lowercase letters. You'll notice that he's trying to write a lower case 'a' and it turned out to be a little more like a 'Q' but he's learning!
Joshua has had a pretty good idea of what he wants for weeks now, and I actually had to cut him off after awhile. But, there were a few surprises on his list as well. He's the one that asked about Rudolph (remembering the movie), and he got right to the presents! His finished letter is below:
It says:
"Dear Santa, Hi. How are you? How's Rudolph? I have been a very GOOD boy this year. May I please have for Christmas: MAC, a fishy Dora movie, a Mater movie book, Jessie, colored pencils, Rex - the big ol' dinosaur, and Ham!, and choo-choo trains, a starfish, more games, a new bike and a washing machine. And that's it! Thank you! You're nice. That's all. Love, Joshua"
MAC is the truck that I showed him holding in a picture before, but I have no idea what a "fishy Dora movie" is. He does like Dora the Explorer, after having seen one of Mamaw's DVDs. We did get him a Dora game for his leapster, though. We knew he wanted a Jessie doll (one of the Toy Story characters) so we got him that on Black Friday, but Rex was gotten for Caleb by Mamaw, and we didn't buy Ham (the piggy bank from the movie). I was surprised that he asked for a starfish, too, which I think came because Caleb asked for one, and I was also shocked that he asked for a washing machine. WHAT!?!?! Silly boy. I loved his 'that's all' at the end. And I think his signature is precious. He also modeled his letter for me by the tree.
Then I snapped a couple pictures of the boys together with their Christmas shirts and letters for Santa. They are seriously cute! Love celebrating Christmas with my precious gifts from heaven - children are a blessing!

No comments: