Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

On Monday, December 6, I spent much of the day grading papers as the boys played. I was tired of thinking by the time that night rolled around, and I was thankful for Shawn's offer to take me to dinner if we could get a babysitter. My Dad agreed to watch the kiddos and eat pizza with them while we went to one of my favorite restaurants, Carabba's. One of my former students waited on our table.
Tuesday was the last day of Study 'n Share for the season, and we had our rocker recliner delivered late that morning. Aunt Jen brought Joshua home from school (so I could be home for the delivery) and I offered to buy her and the kids lunch from McD's, so they all came in to eat and play before Emma had to go to school.
One of those mornings, I offered to help Joshua get dressed and he said "Mama, you're my girl." Shawn & I both cracked up! He is such a cutie pie! I also dug out their hats, gloves and scarves that week (it's been COLD!) and dug out two hat options for Daddy to wear that weekend in case it was frigid. Both boys took a hat of Daddy's to put on. LOVE these pictures of them in PJs and Daddy's hats.
Wednesday was Caleb's birthday, and Mamaw came over after I dropped Joshua off at preschool so that we could go shopping. We went to Target and the new Kohls to look for a hat for me and a bag I could take to NY. It was a fun morning out! I will say, though, that Caleb has taken a liking to walking backward and jumping backward, which is NOT a great thing in a store. Other than that, though, he was really good.

With it being so frigid out, we've allowed the kiddos to watch some Christmas movies with us in the evenings. I haven't recorded which ones were when, but we've scene Rudolph, Frosty, the Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Veggie Tales' the Star of Christmas and Charlie Brown's Christmas. Most of these are about half an hour, which we'll watch after they're in the jammies just before bed.
Thursday I spent the day cleaning, and Caleb was my helper while Joshua was at preschool. I knew I wouldn't get the chance that weekend while we were in NY, so I took the opportunity Thursday to sweep and mop, scrub my bathrooms, dust, etc. I think I overdid it, though, with having to teach that night, too. By the time I got home, I was beyond exhausted!
Friday morning, we took it easy and played in our jammies for awhile when we got a surprise phone call. Mamaw & Papaw were there! I quickly dressed the boys (I was already dressed) and they invited us to eat breakfast with them at Cracker Barrel. You see, every night the boys & I (and Daddy) spend time gazing at the lit-up Christmas tree, which the boys LOVE! They have each picked out some favorite ornaments, and Joshua's is the little miniature Cracker Barrel store. He points out the rocking chairs and tells me that that's where we sit to wait. He's only been there a handful of times, but he remembers! When the Ginder's heard of his love for the place, they suggested it as our destination. We followed them there (and Joshua made sure to tell me if a car happened to get in between us on the highway!), and ate a nice hot breakfast together (thanks so much!). Then Papaw showed the boys the fireplace and we walked around the toy section of the store. Joshua pointed out a million things that he was going to add to his Christmas wish list. Silly boy! Then we went to visit Aunt Missy at her store before parting ways. I headed to the mall to grab something, and my mom and sister were there, so the boys played with their cousins and ate lunch at the food court (thanks, Mamaw!). When we came home, they were ready for their naps! That night just before 8 pm, Mamaw & Papaw returned to pick them up to spend the weekend with them at their hotel. The boys got to experience bunk beds for the first time and seemed to enjoy them. We began getting ready for our trip...it was a fun but busy and COLD week!

No comments: