Thursday, December 23, 2010

Joshua's 51-Month Birthday

On Saturday, December 18, Joshua turned 51-months old. It was a busy day for him! First, he went to Aunt Jen's kiddo Christmas party. Her girls wanted to throw a little party for Christmas and invited friends to come over and watch movies & eat popcorn, etc. Jen asked if Joshua would like to come as Daniel's friend, and we agreed to let him go. The movies were Charlie Brown's Christmas and the Grinch, and there were 25 kids invited besides Jen's kids. The party was from 9:30 to 11:30, and Joshua had a lot of fun!
He came home, ate a light lunch and went right to bed for naps since that afternoon we were going to Great Grandma Good's house for the annual Good extended family Christmas gathering, which I will post about later.
First, though, I want to post about Joshua's progress as he continues to grow into one of the neatest kids I know! One thing that I noticed this month is how well he's writing other letters, in addition to the ones that are in his name. A little girl gave him a gift from preschool for Christmas, and we wrote her a thank you card together. Joshua wrote her name, and the words "thank you" which I spelled out for him. His writing is improving, and he's most definitely a lefty.
Joshua is also playing more with older kids and fitting in, which I mentioned before in my post about Gingerbread houses. He's not as intimidated as he once was or needing to be right with us at any given moment. He's willing to adventure more, which I think shows his aging.
Joshua is also showing more comprehension with stories. For example, the other morning as we were making crafts, he said "I'm an angel." I thought he was talking about his behavior so I just laughed. He said "No, I'm an angel and you be Mary." Okay! So, he came flying toward me - then he scolded me for not being scared. Whoops! So, I acted surprised the next time, and he said "Don't be afraid! You're going to have the baby Jesus" with a big grin on his face. I was amazed, and said "let it be done as you have said." Then he flew off. It was a cool moment where I realized he was picking up more of the Christmas story than I realized. He loves to act things out, too, which is a fun way to learn!

I look at him some days, completely potty-trained and dressing himself, and I wonder where my baby went. He is certainly a big boy now (which he reminds of me all the time!). But, he will always be my baby, with his younger siblings. I am very blessed to have Joshua in my life. I love how he loves to snuggle and play together. He is a really fun kiddo! Happy 51st birthday, my Bean!

No comments: