Friday, December 31, 2010

A Sick Bluke

Saturday night into Sunday morning, Caleb came into our room with Joshua. He said "I'm all wet - I spilled." I was SO tired and incoherent, I wasn't grasping what he was saying. I got up and his jammies were indeed wet. We checked his sippy cup and realized that the sippy was still in the cup. Then it occurred to us what he was saying when we checked out his sheets. He was telling us he "spit" (or the boys word for vomit that my mom taught them). He was sick...EXTREMELY sick. He began to heave again in my arms, and I raced him to the bathroom to stand over the toilet. But, I think he was completely empty. I cleaned him up and got him fresh PJs while Daddy took care of the sheets (praise God for my helpful husband!). We got the boys back to bed and nodded off ourselves.
 
Sunday morning, we were supposed to meet Grandma Georgia for breakfast. I called him at 6:30 am to let him know that we wouldn't be there and why. Caleb continued to be sick that morning and took a morning nap - the first time in well over a year. I called Nonie & Poppy at 9:30 am to let them know that we wouldn't be joining them for dinner either that night. I prayed and prayed and prayed for my snuggly little Caleb Luke and that the rest of us wouldn't get his stomach bug. After nap time Caleb woke up and had a little color back and his eyes didn't look so glassy. He was thirsty, and thankfully Daddy had gotten some Pedialyte (at my request) while he was out at the store. We gave Caleb small sips of the drink, and he seemed to perk up. He even played for a little while. Then the diarrhea started. I don't remember ever seeing it this bad - thankfully it had been awhile since either boy had been sick. Caleb got several baths that night and the following two days, but thanks to God his vomiting was over. I called the pediatrician to see what types of food were safe for him to eat, and beyond bananas they suggested yogurt, bland cereal, and starchy foods like mashed potatoes. He had a little appetite the next day, and he enjoyed the Cheerios and bananas that we gave him (we also offered him the other things but he wasn't as excited for those). By the fourth day, he was completely better, and Joshua never got sick. Praise the Lord! I am thrilled to start the New Year on a healthy note!

No comments: