Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pizza, Park, Pool, etc.

Sunday was Father's Day. We went to church that morning, and the sermon was tied to Father of the Bride. While I didn't love the movie-themed service (just being honest!), I cried at the thought of my boys growing up too quickly. Hopefully this sermon series speaks to someone who's never been to church before and helps bridge the gap of going to church in general. Seeing the worship made me a little more nervous for this coming Sunday, when I play for the first time. Please keep me and that in your prayers! I've come to the conclusion that my main purpose is to worship God and not to screw up royally to take anyone else's focus off Him either. I think I can do that much (with His help, of course).
We ate a late breakfast/early lunch after church was over and the boys napped. After they woke up, we all played outside. This water ball was one of Caleb's birthday gifts from his party last year, and the boys love it!
They were having a blast between the old Wally the Whale pool (since Daddy has to patch our pirate ship that sprung a leak) and the beach ball sprinkler. I had called my Dad earlier in the day and he wasn't doing anything. I felt bad, so I asked Shawn if it would be okay with him if Grandpa Georgia could come with us to whatever he chose to do for dinner. Shawn said he didn't mind at all, and he picked Joshua's favorite pizza restaurant for supper rather than grilling out or going somewhere nicer. He said he enjoys our time the most when the boys are happy. So, that's where we went and Grandpa came along. Joshua 'signed' his card for his Daddy (the 'H' was bigger than all the other letters and then some - it was cute!), and Caleb scribbled his 'signature' on it and we gave Daddy his gifts, one of which was ordered online and will be here soon! Grandpa asked for a picture for a new frame he had bought, so I blew up the photo of the entire family from Easter and he seemed pleased with the way it turned out.
The next morning, I called my sister to see if she'd like to meet us at the park. She agreed but asked if we'd like to walk with her instead of us walking from our house. I said okay and drove to her house and then we all walked together. Joshua enjoyed walking with Emma.
I didn't think to grab our camera before we left. It was a hot day! The kids played on the playground equipment but the slide was too hot to keep going down, so they made their own fun games. Grandpa was taking Aunt Jen to get her car (from being inspected) so he showed up at the park to watch the kids play and brought them cookies. We walked back to Jen's house and went home for lunch.
After the kids woke up from their naps, we called Grandma back from her invite to the pool that morning. We also invited Lisa & Isabella to join us since she only worked a half day on Monday.
We all had a blast swimming (thanks, Mom!). Joshua had his swim floaties on and could 'swim' on his own with them. Caleb kept accidentally drinking the water. I can't find the floaties we bought him, so I think we're going to have to just get him a new pair. All the kids enjoyed the warm water that afternoon!
When we got home, we ate our dinner out on the deck. It was a lovely evening.
Tuesday morning I got up at 5:30 and was out the door by 6 as usual to run after doing my devotions. Somehow on the way back, I managed to step on a round stone or something (I didn't see it, but whatever it was sure rolled out from underneath my foot!). My left foot turned in right and I was running so fast that I pounded it a few good times on that awkward side angle before getting stopped. I thought about staying right there, crying in my own misery. But, I realized that I would be screwing up Shawn's work schedule by not getting home. So, I walked the half mile to our house (praise God I was that close!) and gritted my teeth with the pain. When I got home, my amazing husband who treats me like a princess saw how swollen and black my foot and ankle were and called the Orthopedic Associates, taking the morning off to be with the kids. I was horrified! I'm far too busy to be injured. Truly, we have plans going on just about every day! And I've been enjoying running in the mornings and getting my exercise in that way vs. a workout DVD. I was soooo disappointed besides in pain. 
 
Doesn't the Bible say that God sends His angels to guard us so our feet won't strike a stone? It also says that He makes straight paths for us. These are verses I've prayed over previous runs, and I've been kept safe and injury-free thus far. I was frustrated. And, I felt very much like God was telling me that I needed to focus on Him. That particular morning, I had been preoccupied with what I was going to be playing for worship when I was running whereas normally that is time that I re-digest whatever my reading was from that morning. I was humbled big time.
I had just been writing about how God turned the bitter waters into sweetness for the Israelites, testing them and providing for them. He worked a miracle out of what seemed like a bad situation. I know He can do the same here. I don't know what good can come out of this situation - but God does. And I'm anxious to see what it is! I need to find a new way to burn calories (and eat less!) until I'm healed. The doctor told me that I can't run for awhile, but at least it's not broken. They gave me an air cast and told me that I can walk on it as I can tolerate the pain, and that I won't be hurting it more. That was the best news I'd heard all morning. I can put up with pain - I just don't want to prolong the healing time. Shawn graciously got the prescription filled and the boys were well behaved yesterday (thanks Grandpa for watching them while we were at the doctor's!). Grandma came over for a little while today (thanks so much!) to play with them. When you think of it (even now would be good!), please pray for a quick and complete recovery. They warned me that if I ran too soon on it, there are good chances I would roll it again since all the ligaments are stretched, etc. I really want to be out and about and doing things, so pray for wisdom, strength, and the sweetness that is to come out of this situation!

No comments: