Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Love the 'Skins' You're In!

Yesterday, I took the boys at 10 am to the Picture People. I had gotten a coupon for a free 8 x 10, and I have many friends who say they go in and just get that one. For a long time, I never did that, and then I thought to myself "why not?" So, I made the appointment and got these pictures in hopes of surprising Daddy for Father's Day... only the boys are so cute that I can't keep them to myself that long. So, Daddy will get another gift along with the picture I already gave him.
I dressed the boys in their Redskins outfits since that's Daddy's favorite football team and the gal on the phone had said they had some sort of cute touchdown background (which they told me didn't exist when I got there). It didn't matter. I thought they looked adorable!
Caleb did NOT like getting his picture taken, but Joshua did a good job overall. And I thought they turned out decently well. I also took Joshua's little DVD player with us, and I think every child in there came and watched with the boys while us parents got to pick out our pictures in peace. Another mom told me she was going to get one and bring it next time. Sometimes an 'electronic babysitter' can be a good thing if used sparingly!
That afternoon while the boys napped, I received a nice phone call. I had tried out for the LCBC worship team, and the worship leader called to tell me that he could use me on the team. I was so excited! I hadn't heard anything for a little bit and had assumed I didn't make the cut, but I had prayed about it and gave it to God. I love to worship at home, but I know I'm not as skilled as the musicians who play for the team. Still my heart's desire is to praise the Lord and glorify Him. I want to be available to be used by Him, using my talents that He's given me. But, if they didn't need me (after all, there are a LOT of people who go there) then I wanted to also be content to serve in some other way. I had recently volunteered to be a back-up for a gal who volunteers in the nursery, just to give her an occasional break. I felt like I did my best at the audition, but I wasn't sure what the outcome would be. But, I was okay either way. And I was thrilled to hear that they could use my help. I so enjoy worshiping God and playing the piano and learning new songs to praise Him with.

I almost didn't post it on the blog, because I don't want it to be viewed as prideful. Instead, I'm joyful and thankful. I love the Lord and am looking forward to serving Him. I haven't been asked to play any specific Sunday yet, so Shawn told me I shouldn't count my eggs before they hatch. That said, I was still glad that I didn't make a fool of myself trying out (although, I know God gives grace to the humble).
 
So far, 30 is turning out to be a good year (at least four days into it!).
After the kids woke up from their nap, we went to Root's and got some fresh fruit. Shawn made dinner that evening and I washed off & cut up all the watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc. and put them in the fridge for meals & snacks. I LOVE summer! It was a beautiful day with a high in the 70s and a nice occasional cool breeze.
We ate our dinner out on the deck, then the boys opened a special box from Mamaw & Papaw from Florida. It had Toy Story cups, crayons, socks, stickers, etc. and they were thrilled. Joshua has carried around the crayons and kept telling us Papaw was nice to send him crayons, thank you Papaw. (Thanks so much!)
Touchdown!
That night I gave them baths and cleaned the house while Shawn watched a little baseball & basketball (and I do mean just a little... he also helped clean and put the boys to bed). It was a good, productive day.

No comments: