Monday, June 14, 2010

CV Reunion

This past weekend was filled with reunion activities. Sarah (pictured below between Kristin & Suz) organized the gatherings via facebook since our ten-year reunion had been so lame. So, our 12-year (or when all of us are turning 30ish) reunion had two events. Saturday night we met at Marion Court, organized for folks who didn't have families and would rather a bar-type setting. Sunday afternoon then was a picnic for families and children. I think many folks went to both events, but some stuck to one vs. another. I went to both because I was hoping to see more people that way. And thankfully my Dad was willing to watch the boys Saturday night late (the event didn't even start until 8 pm!) and Shawn was willing to go to both events with me.
The picture above is Kristin, Sarah, Suz and me. I have a similar picture of us from Senior Week our junior year of high school, but I look so bad in it that I think I'll save it for my own memories. It was great to see these girls again! While Suz & I have remained friends throughout the years, I haven't really talked or seen Sarah or Kristin in those 12 years other than bumping into each of them once at the mall on separate occasions. Sarah & I played in the orchestra together and we all had classes with one another.
Unfortunately, I didn't get my camera out a lot that night. I took the above picture off Facebook since someone else had taken the shot (minus Sarah, add in Kristin's husband David, who Shawn thought was interesting to talk to that night). The first shot was a sad little attempt to get a class picture. One of my students from Millersville offered to take the picture for us. I saw three different students that night, and it made me feel mega-old. I was having fun right up until that point. I think we left shortly thereafter, which was just after midnight. In the meantime, I also got to see Matt, who was our class valedictorian - we had lots of classes together, and I still remember him playing the saxophone when we were little (since I did, too). Keith flew in the whole way from LA to be there, and Dalen came down from New York. There were lots of folks who traveled to come and then others who didn't bother. But, it was still great to see everyone who did show. One guy who was super sweet back in high school sort of blew me off when I first said hi, then he came back with his wife and apologized, giving me a big hug and saying he didn't recognize me and how different I look now. I don't think I look that different, but then again, I'm with me every day (and some of those old pictures of me are NOT flattering, so... what does that tell you, I guess!). Anyway, I wasn't offended when he didn't seem all that excited the first time we greeted one another, but I was glad that he came back more enthusiastically.

Once again, Shawn was the banner husband. He let me mingle, came and said hi and shook hands when appropriate, talked with a lot of male spouses who were also drug along to the event (including Suz's hubby), and was social enough with my friends to make me feel honored to be his wife. He also looked handsome that night, but of course I think he always does. :) :) :)
The following day, Joshua woke up at 5 am. Did I mention that Shawn & I didn't get to bed until 1? It was the worst! We were soooo tired. But, we survived. I didn't run that morning. Instead we relaxed, ate bagels for breakfast and got ready for the events that day. First up was the reunion picnic at noon. I took drinks (what could be easier than tea, soda, etc?) Since the boys were still napping, I left solo and Shawn brought them later. Jeanne (pictured in pink above) and her husband Roger made this FABULOUS BBQ chicken in a pit and other people brought side dishes and desserts, etc. I couldn't believe the amount of food that was there. Besides me & Suz (Caleb & Ian) and Jeanne in the above picture is another friend, Dawn, who is also pictured on the right.
Sarah is hysterical in all the things she keeps, and she brought along our senior wills (which made me laugh out loud!), our yearbooks, and other memories like photo albums, etc. We also got to see other folks' kids, and I had forgotten that a gal Megan that I went to school with had her son the exact same day and time that I had Caleb. Dustin & Darren (twins) came along with Dustin's wife and his twins. His parents are both twins, his grandparents are twins, he has another set of twin or triplet brothers (can't remember now) that are all identical. I don't see how his wife still married him (just kidding - sort of!). These brothers used to pick me and the Waldron twins up for school before we could drive.
It rained a good bit at both occasions, but that didn't stop folks from catching up. When the boys got there, they tried to catch rain drops and begged me to play with them, too. Thankfully Shawn did since I didn't want to get soaked.
We ate lunch, oohed and aahed over babies and memories, had some awkward "hi. how have you been for 12 years? yeah, good." moments and then it was soon time to head out and get to our next event, which for us was a wedding of another friend from high school/church/youth group, etc. Hopefully it won't be another random 12 years until we see each other again. That said, soon we will have been out of school longer than we went to school together. Okay, I better stop there...

No comments: