Monday, June 14, 2010

Fun-day Monday

This morning I had originally been thinking about taking the boys to see Thomas at the Strasburg Railroad. But, when my alarm rang at 5:30 to go jog, I turned it off. Then Joshua came in just before 6 am and fell asleep in our bed, and the boys & I slept in until 8 am, which is nothing short of a miracle. I knew that meant we were all tired and really needed a break.

So, we filled our day with staying home and playing. I remember Joshua being scared and I told him to repeat "God is always with me" and I sang the song "God is always with me, He's with me, He's with me, God is always with me, He loves me" (to the tune of 'the more we get together'). He LOVED the song. Then later he told Caleb they didn't have to be scared because God is with them. He got it!!!! Our neighbor is getting new siding and the noise of the men working was what kept startling him.

We went for a walk around the neighborhood and talked a lot about various colors. One of our neighbors noted something about Joshua being talkative. I simply smiled (mostly because I couldn't hear exactly what he said... nor did I truly care if I'm being brutally honest). We also played outside in the garage. Joshua pretended to go to the store and buy things for us. He'd say "bye Caleb, see you this afternoon" and Caleb would say "bye, Josh, see you soon!" They were cracking me up! I also used the sidewalk chalk to teach Joshua how to write more letters. Caleb was drawing nicely and Joshua can now write everything but the 'S' in his name. I need to get out some of those preschool materials and look how to better explain it. But, the Bean knows how to spell his entire name. He knows his birthday, his address, his phone number, his entire name, his parents' names, how to spell his entire name and is now learning how to write it. He also recognizes letters and numbers, but I realize that if we don't re-hit some of these things, he forgets a few letters here or there. So, we'll be reinforcing this summer while we teach little Caleb Luke.

Later we went to the playground behind our house. Both boys are climbers, but I realize how much bigger Joshua is getting. The things that used to cause him trouble are easy - in fact, he wanted to go to the bigger kid playground area. :( :( :( Caleb is also growing as he is now climbing things and getting into trouble. I was amazed at the little bars he could climb, but at the one point he lost his footing and simply hung on until I rescued him (luckily I was only a couple steps from him with the Bean!). He is a climber, that strong little guy!

We also sang quite a bit today. Their favorite was "Sweet Caroline" and I wish you could have seen them singing and dancing to it. Daddy saw it later this evening and we both howled. Sooo cute!!! We played one game of Candy Land, which I can tell Caleb knows most of his shapes. I think he has for awhile now.

Lastly, we read a TON of books today. Some of them were the same as we've been reading, but that's where library books have been a nice addition to our collection. We're more than half way to our 'make a splash' goal with just the ones we've recorded. In fact, when I put the Bean to bed tonight he said that his favorite part of the day was reading books. It made me smile. They are such good boys. All day they were really good, even though Caleb was a little clingy. I love my little guys!!! Here's to a good rest of the week!

No comments: