Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"Make a Splash"

This afternoon we went to the Manheim Township Public Library. While we've lived in this house over four years, this was the first time I set foot in this particular library. The purpose of our trip was to sign up for the "Make a Splash" summer reading program. I registered both boys and got the paperwork. The boys earn prizes for reading (well, listening to for kids under age 5) books over the summer. Both boys were quiet and good as we walked through the library to see what it had to offer, and then we signed out two books. Joshua picked a Thomas book, and Caleb picked the book "If You Take a Mouse to School." We read both books when we got home, which we'll record on their forms.

Earlier this morning, I brought the art easel out and poured two colors onto a black foam plate. Then I gave both kids an old, stained shirt of Daddy's to wear as they painted with the washable paint. Joshua held the palette and did a great job, I'll admit. They both enjoyed using their paintbrushes to paint on the white roll that's attached to the easel itself. Caleb tired of the activity first, and Joshua wasn't far behind him. I cleaned up the brushes and the paint that had went a little awry. It made me thankful for things like washable paint. It was a fun activity that I wasn't concerned about because I knew even if we had an accident, it wasn't a big deal. The boys enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the camera batteries are charging, so I didn't take any pictures. The pictures above are the boys sharing an ice cream cone on our deck Sunday night.

We also went for a walk today and played in the garage/on the driveway. The clouds started rolling in and they've been calling for rain all day, so eventually we came inside. Tonight I'm getting my hair done and the boys will have fun with Daddy.
Hopefully if the weather is nicer tomorrow, we'll be able to make a real 'splash.' :) :) :)

No comments: