Friday, June 11, 2010

No 'P' in the 'OOL'

This morning we went to Grandma's house to go swimming in the community pool. Joshua has been asking about it for awhile, and I saw that they were calling for it to be in the 80s today (that said, I don't think it was quite that warm when we went at 9:30 am, not that the boys minded...).
Their fear of the pool is gone. In fact, Caleb went running toward the deep end when we walked in. Thankfully, he didn't make it before I grabbed him. Instead, we started by sitting on the edge and dipping our feet in. And it was COLD!
Joshua was in heaven! Unfortunately, I couldn't find Caleb's arm swimmies we had bought him, and we had deflated Joshua's when we went to Florida last and never had the occasion to re-inflate them. I don't have that much hot air (no laughter, please) so I'll need Daddy's help to get them set up for the next time we swim so they can go right in.
They begged to go in deeper. Joshua said he wanted to go in by the number six, but I told him that was for folks who were the age of six. Since he's three, he needed to stay by the '3' and he said okay. Whew! I can't believe how much taller he is this year than last year - he does fine walking on the steps and it didn't go over his head!
Eventually, they convinced Grandma to get wet and cold and go in with them. They would take turns jumping into the water with her holding them and then she would swing them around. Joshua started to kick and swim a little by the end. I'd love to get him swim lessons this summer, which he's old enough for. But they're fairly pricey and I have to call and check to see if I can take Caleb with me or if I need to be in the water with the Bean.
Caleb loves to be wet! Joshua was scared at this age, but not Caleb. He would jump right in if I would let him. I fear he'd also sink right to the bottom without some flotation device, and that's not a game of 'sink or float' I'm willing to play just now.
Both boys wanted Grandma to help them swim - Mommy was chop liver. That was okay, though, because the water was freezing. So, I was able to snap pictures and stay decently warm outside the water while they splashed and sang the Turtle song and had a good time.
Eventually, Caleb got cold and was shivering, so Grandma made him sit out and snuggle in her big towel. He looked so cute! She & Joshua continued to swim while I got Caleb dressed, then the Bean & I got ready in the club house. We were there about an hour total, which was enough for me to see what we need to bring next time. The boys had a blast!
We left there to go to Aunt Jen's house to celebrate Daniel's birthday a little early. Pictures of that to come soon!

No comments: