Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy 45-month birthday, Joshua!

Today I have been a little 'emotial' (misspelled on purpose) as I think of how big my little boys are getting. I am so thankful for God bringing them this far in life, and I'm excited for what the future holds. Yet, it seriously does fly so fast! I want to remember every moment with my boys. Today in particular, I have been thankful to be able to be home with them. I sometimes take for granted the quantity of time I get with them and need more 'quality' time moments. I tend to want to pack our days with activities when I realize that some of our most precious times are times that we're home, doing 'nothing' but spending time together. After all, these are the times where we appreciate each other the most and get most of our 'learning' in.
As we were taking a walk around the neighborhood the other day, I realized how much Joshua knows now that he didn't before. He can name very random colors that he didn't use to have the name for (gray, dark brown, etc.). He was the one pointing things out to me whereas I used to tell him things to look for. He also likes to get out of the double stroller and look at the fish in the coy pond in our development. As he runs ahead and talks to the fish, I have to smile. At one time, I wouldn't have let him leave my side. Now he's pretty responsible and waits right there (not that far in front of us) and sometimes climbs back in once we're done with the fish and sometimes walks with me home. He's pretty tall now. While he's still quite skinny, I think his height carries him to make him look very normal and cute.
He loves to spell his name, and we've been working on writing his letters. He only wants to work on it sometimes, so we simply go at his pace. We write with sidewalk chalk and erasable boards. He loves to make the letter 'J' and 'O' is fairly easy since he can draw a circle. It's the 'S' that gives him trouble. Then he asks for my help and we continue to write as long as he's interested. He's enjoying books, too, and he loved a 'Scary Hair' book (really called "the Hair Scare") where a barber made these wild haircuts that looked like birds and shapes. The Bean was sad when we returned that one to the library. Since then we got a "Silly Little Goose!" book that he thinks is hysterical (the goose tries to lay her eggs with the other farm animals and finally finds a spot of her own) and another really neat one (I thought - and so did he) was "How Many How Many How Many" for all you momma readers out there. We're close to being finished with our goal for the library, but I know that we'll continue to read books throughout the rest of the summer and beyond. That's a time that I can still cuddle with the boys as the cozy in for a story.
There are other differences I see in Joshua, too. He can tell stories better. Last night as we were all hanging out outside, he told me the story of the three bears from start to finish, getting every last detail like Daddy tells it. He also is trying to color inside the lines. He doesn't always make it, of course, but the fact that he even grasps the concept is interesting to see since just a few months ago, he had no interest in coloring inside the lines. Joshua still has his fiery personality, and yet I can see him maturing even in how he handles certain situations (although things like being sick, hungry or tired can sometimes overpower that maturity... isn't that true of all of us, though, really?). Joshua isn't as scared of certain activities like he used to be. I wasn't sure what he would think of the barrel ride, for example, but instead of being afraid, he LOVED it! The same with the pool - he didn't use to enjoy it as much as he does now. I think each month of life with him gets better and better. But, then again, I've enjoyed every month of life with him. I think he's amazing. He tells us that we're 'super,' 'fantastic,' 'spectacular' and my favorite 'good boys.' These are 'momma-words' that make me smile when he uses them. I'm glad he hears praise often enough that he feels the need to tell us when we're doing well, too. Haaa!!! Happy 45-month birthday, my 3-year-old boy! Don't grow up on me too fast!

No comments: