Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Go Fly a Kite!

If you said 'go fly a kite' to Joshua, he wouldn't take it as an insult - he would LOVE it! In fact, that's exactly what we did on Sunday.

Backing up a bit, on Sunday morning since I hadn't slept all night, I had the unique opportunity of watching the sunrise over Lancaster City in our 19th floor hotel room and it was amazing. Shawn was up by 20 'til 8, and we quickly peaked at the pool, exercise room and spa area before checking out. When we got home, we were happy to see our boys. Both of them were dressed in outfits they had picked out. [Earlier in the week, Joshua had picked out funky multi-colored plaid shorts that are adorable with a solid colored shirt - only he also chose his striped 'Lightning McQueen & Doc Hudson' shirt to go with it. Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten any pictures of this miss-matched happy guy!]. The first thing Joshua had picked, according to Uncle Tim, was the Thomas swim trunks borrowed from Cousin Grant. They don't quite fit yet, though, so Tim suggested he pick something that didn't fall off his waist. He agreed and was wearing a pretty normal-looking outfit. Caleb, on the other hand, looked hysterical. He can't reach his entire wardrobe, but he was SO excited to pick his own outfit, according to Aunt Becky. He grabbed long corduroys pants from the very bottom of his armoire (I didn't even realize they were still in there!) and a pajama shirt that's a little too small.

Caleb was starting to sit down to breakfast when he walked in, and my sister (who you can tell does not have kids) had given him a full adult cup (no lid, no sippy) FULL of water. He kept dumping it on himself accidentally, then saying "OOPS!" then "WIPE!" and then after patting himself with a napkin would exclaim "ALL BETTER!" She said this pattern had been going on for awhile, which we could tell since he was completely soaked when we walked in the door. But, everyone was happy, safe and having fun and that's all we cared about.

They left shortly after we got home to go get ready for church, and we met Grandpa Georgia at "his" restaurant (according to Joshua) for breakfast. Afterward, we went to the second service of our church. For the most part, we thought the service was a little on the lame side, but we could have been tired. I can always get something out of the worship & message, but this felt very much like an advertisement for an upcoming event they're hosting. Either way, I felt like we did the right thing going to church. When we got home, we all napped.

We woke up more groggy than when we'd laid down. Eventually we got in the car and I suggested we take the boys to the park to have some fun. As we were there, Shawn commented that the wind was good for flying a kite, and luckily for us, we had bought one and put it in my trunk. I walked back to the car to get it, and Joshua highly enjoyed flying it. Shawn & I took turns showing him how and staying with him in the field while the other played with Caleb on the playground equipment. The Bean LOVED the kite and the wind was great in that it went up in the air really easily. While we were at the playground, we ran into my orthodontist from when I was little, and he told me to smile for him and 'approved' of my teeth. His son & daughter are both practicing with him now (good money, I'm sure!). I told him we'd probably see him in the future with our boys and chuckled.

Shawn's last surprise for my birthday was that he had taken off Monday. We didn't do much of anything that day. I jogged in the morning, we went to the library to return our old books and grab some new ones for the kids, we went out for Chinese for lunch, I went shopping at Tanger Outlets with Mom while all three of my boys napped, and Shawn went to the driving range and Barnes & Nobles later that afternoon. Last night I took the boys for a walk while Daddy worked on a few weeds and then we played in the garage and I cleaned the house for a little. We ended the night by going for a drive and looking at repos for fun. When the boys finally went to bed after we read them some stories, I went to sleep, too. It was an amazing 3-day weekend! And, luckily, we charged the batteries in our camera so hopefully I'll be able to take more pictures soon...

No comments: