Friday, October 2, 2009

Joshua's 3-year well-check

Yesterday, Joshua had his 3-year well-child check-up. His stats are
Height: 37.25" - 35%
Weight (with clothes on): 29 lbs 8 oz - 25%
I couldn't believe he weighed so much! Awesome! At three, he's three feet tall and weighs almost thirty pounds. :)

I asked a ton of questions, as usual, and got a couple surprising answers and other not-so-surprising answers. The one that concerned me the most was that they think Joshua is struggling with constipation. He's basically potty trained to put his 'water' in the potty but refuses to put his poo-poo in there. But, he's not consistently having a bowel movement and has gone as much as five days in between. They told me to give him juice (that's the first time I've ever heard someone suggest sugar water!) and also 'p' fruits, as well as two teaspoons of fiber a day to get him regulated. Dr. Krak said that Joshua won't potty train when he's having difficulty going. Once we get him regular, it shouldn't be a problem. Okay! I'll take it! No wonder the poor guy has been telling us he has an ouchy belly...maybe it really does hurt!
They also gave him a flu shot. He was so offended - he told me that the girls stabbed him. He called it his ouchy arm and prayed for it and then asked me to pray for it. I think he's feeling better today, though. After his shot, they gave him a little sticker in the shape of a needle that said "I Was Brave." So cute!
Dr. Krak also told me to wait on giving him the pulmocort lung strengthening medicine until after Joshua has another asthma attack. He called his condition "stable" and said we would monitor in upcoming weeks. He did recommend, however, with Joshua's history that we get the swine flu vaccine as soon as it's available.

This is also the age we should talk about strangers, I read on the paperwork they sent home. Everything else I would say we're already doing. And, since they aren't concerned at all about Joshua's weight, Dr. Krak said it's important to offer him one thing - whatever we're eating - and he'll eat it if he's hungry. If he's not hungry, don't force it, but if he is hungry we should be encouraging healthy eating habits. We've been caving to give him whatever he'll eat in hopes that he'll get enough calories. But, today he ate like a champ, so I'd say that he does eat when he's hungry.

No comments: