Wednesday, October 7, 2009

EEG - Home Free!

Monday night we kept Caleb up obnoxiously late (in fact, Daddy had him watch football with him while I passed out) and then Caleb was up off and on overnight by himself. He hadn't napped earlier in the day and was just exhausted. But, I think God kept him awake. He was up at 5 am and woke me up.
We went as a family to the second floor Neuro-something unit on the Health Campus to get his test done. I didn't realize that for an EEG they had to put 24-electrodes on his head. He cried the entire time that she was setting him up - not in pain, but this cry was an "I'm offended she's touching my head with sticky stuff" kind of cry. It took all my strength to keep his hands from pulling them off. Then, after she wrapped his head in gauze, she turned on the machines. One monitored him via a video camera. When I asked why, the tech told me that this records the actual seizure, should any occur. WOW! Okay! She also had the brain waves being monitored and then another apparatus that flashed a bunch of light. She explained that the lights can sometimes trigger an episode. Caleb, on the other hand, thought the lights were cool.
He wanted to play. He started jumping up and down and tried to get down and again, my arms were worn out with trying to keep him as still as I could. But, she said he was okay and they obviously got what they needed since the pediatrician called me that afternoon and said the EEG came back normal. I wish I would have gotten a picture of little Caleb Luke all decked out in his head gear! He was ADORABLE!

We came home and he crashed for a nap. Later that afternoon I gave both boys a bath so I could wash all that sticky junk out of his hair.
Dr. Tifft told me that he thinks I should keep the appointment with the Pediatric Neurologist for now and continue to monitor Caleb's behavior. If he rolls his eyes again, we should definitely go in. If he doesn't, we will "talk" and see if we should cancel. But, he thinks this is a very good sign.

Praise GOD!

No comments: