Friday, October 3, 2008

God's Grace

Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
As I left our house today, I looked at how beautiful Joshua's mum is turning out this year. It hasn't looked this good since we brought it home from the hospital, which was before we brought home our little Bean. And, I remembered foolishly crying when Shawn cut it down this summer accidentally as he prepared to paint the fence. I had cut it back in the spring already, and I thought that it wouldn't come back this year...boy was I wrong! But, God knew. There I was mourning something that would turn out more beautiful than I expected. How often do we do that? How often does God have something even better in store for us, but we wallow in the moment, stuck in our own knowledge and not trusting in His goodness? For me, I know that's more often than I'd like to admit. God lovingly reminded me of His unfailing grace today. Even though I fall short often, He loves me even more than I love my own children (which is hard for me to even fathom!).

In the Bible study I'm going to right now, the discussion was on having "praying lives." We read Nehemiah 1, and verse 4 spoke to me in particular. Nehemiah wept and mourned, fasted and prayed, and then with reverence and a pure heart, he made his request of God, reminding Him of His promises from long ago. Beth Moore said that in our prayer time, we should be meditating on God's word and praying it back to Him...it's like a real conversation with God as He speaks to us and we reflect on it back to Him. While it made sense and I've probably heard it a thousand times, it really hit a core with me yesterday. Am I reflecting and meditating on God's word enough? Or am I rushing through it as one more task to complete in my all-too-busy day? Last week, one of our homework assignments discussed legalism vs. a passionate relationship...that also spoke volumes to me. God is so good! All the time!

I'm thankful that He continually speaks to me; that His word is truth yesterday, today and forevermore; and I'm grateful to my sister and Aunt Missy for watching the Bean and allowing me to feel the freedom to go and learn more about our Heavenly Father. May He be honored in my life!

No comments: