Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Successful Shot

Joshua LOVES hats. Here he is wearing his Daddy's Redskins hat that lights up. He put it on backwards all by himself.

I was so proud of Joshua today, over and over again. First thing this morning, I took him to get his flu shot. As I put him in the car, he got anxious and said 'Baby! Seat! Baby! Mommy, Baby!' I realized he was frantic that I forgot Caleb. I explained to him that it was just Joshua & Mommy going out. He still wasn't okay with that until I told him that I left Caleb with Daddy at home. Then he thought about it and said, "Bye-bye, Daddy." He understood Caleb would be okay. What a good big brother! With my brain these days, I'm glad that he's a good helper in reminding me of things. :)

I explained on the way to the Kissel Hill office that we were going to the doctors, which he repeated. He didn't mind that I held him to get to the office (normally he would ask to get down instead of being held), and he was okay when we went in. I held his hand and explained that he was going to get a shot and it might hurt a little bit, but it was no big deal. I told him to squeeze my hand if it hurt. The nurse gave him the shot and a big tear rolled down his cheek, but by the time she gave him some animal crackers, he had forgotten all about it. I was sincerely impressed and told him over and over again how well he did. He let me hold him the entire time out to the car. I'm getting my flu shot this week, and so is Daddy. We must remember how brave little Joshua was when we're seeing that needle coming!

Joshua loves Caleb so much that last night during belly time, he got on his belly, too, to entertain his brother. Sooo sweet!

Afterward, I went and picked up Caleb Luke so Daddy could get some work done, and we also picked up Grandma and went shopping for new sneakers for the Bean. Joshua did pretty well at the Stride Rite Outlet, too, and I bought him a pair of sneakers and Mom bought him a pair of brown shoes and Caleb a little pair of blue shoes that are adorable (thanks so much, Mom!). When we dropped Grandma back off, Joshua was just devastated. He wanted so badly to go inside with her, but she had just painted her hallway and with his asthma, we weren't sure how he would do. He cried as we pulled away, until we got down the street where the cows are. He said "Cows down on grass? All wet!" I had explained to him that the cows lay down when it rains. He told me all day that it was "all wet!" and repeated "rain." I love this age of repeating (for the most part!).
When I was feeding Caleb this morning, Joshua dug out my old 'Elizabeth' doll baby and held her close, patted her on the back, and tried helping her walk. He'll be a great Daddy some day!
Joshua has been helping Daddy as Shawn is doing things around the house, and I am working on a writing project (and taking a few minutes to blog). The Bean got a time out today when he hit me after I told him no...can't remember what about now. I immediately took him to time out and he sat there while I picked up Caleb who was getting tired of being on his belly. I asked Joshua to come to me instead of the typical me going to him. He wasn't too sure if he was allowed to get up, but I asked him to please come right over to me so I could explain to him eyeball-to-eyeball that hitting is absolutely unacceptable. He came right over and said, "Sorry, Mommy!" It melted my heart. Shawn & I have been trying to get him to apologize with little success - we try to say sorry to each other and explain to Joshua what it means. Today, I think he may have understood. It was so sweet. I reinforced that there's no hitting and gave him a big kiss. My little boy is growing soooo fast!!!

No comments: