Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Out & About

On Sunday night, we went to our first "small" group meeting. It was six couples, along with our children. The house was perfect for kids...very child-proofed and LOTS of toys. Joshua started playing immediately and did okay for the most part (although he was high enough to reach their counters in the kitchen and helped himself to a piece of bread at dinner as I was getting his meal ready...ugh!!!). Unfortunately, Caleb is completely in tune with his momma. If I'm uptight or nervous, he immediately senses it and gets worked up himself. He cried most of the night, and the more he fussed, the more uptight I became. In talking to the one gal this morning who is my MOPS discussion leader, she said she didn't even think about it and was more worried about her own child. I could tell she wasn't just saying that, either. I think we all worry more about our own kids than others, unless the others are really out of line.This gal Becca also said she and her husband are excited at the group - everyone seems super friendly and like we could all be friends quickly. I've liked her from the moment we met at Bible study (which she stopped going to because of the childcare situation), and I'm glad we joined her small group unknowingly.Today we went to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and I had a great time. However, in rushing to get there, Caleb would not eat from his tense momma. I should have gotten up earlier but both kids were up over night, so I chose to sleep in a little and regretted it later. In the end, it didn't matter. I was one of the first gals from our group that showed up - after all, we all have kids and off days!!! I LOVE our group for that, too. We ate together, talked, did a brain teaser and laughed. Both Caleb & Joshua did really well in their classes, too. There were four older women in Caleb's room, and he was the first baby there. They were all over him, and he loved the attention and could have cared less that he didn't eat. Afterward, I felt refreshed to come home and try to be a better mom than I had been in my rushing state. We all had a pretty good day overall. Becca emailed the group about setting up a play date with our kids, and I'm trying to think of places that a larger group of women & children could go. If you think of anything, please let me know!

No comments: