Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Pray for Mental Health

I just wrote a newsletter for Philhaven as one of my copy jobs, and there were several initiatives they are working on geared toward families. One is called "Shaping Your Family's Future" where you look at how your upbringing has shaped your personality, and then you intentionally decide what traits you want to pass on to your children. Another is family therapy, where children's behavior has become so out of hand that therapists go to the family's house to help. The list goes on and on. The more I wrote about it, the more I prayed fervantly for Joshua. While I'll come back to the two final "Juicy Fruits," please take today to pray today for Joshua's mental health. Pray that we will be good role models, pass onto him our positive traits, and that God would block anything negative. Pray for his self-esteem, his ability to make friends quickly & easily, and that he would know that he is fearfully & wonderfully made. Pray that he would know how special he is and just how much we love him. Pray that he would NEVER even think of committing suicide or hurting himself in any way as a teenager. Please pray that we would always provide a loving house and encouragement to him. Pray that he takes positive steps toward keeping his mental health in check like drinking water, exercising, sleeping at least eight hours and not stressing over the small things in life. And, pray that we would do the same to show him the way...thank you for your prayers! I haven't been able to stop thinking about these things since this copy job, so I appreciate you taking a moment to pray for Joshua & us today!

3 comments:

Julie Garner said...

It is daunting to think about these things. I will pray mostly that Joshua will know and understand the magnitude of the Gospel. That Christ would die on his behalf, that he might go free. That you would glorify God in your parenting (which you do!) and that Joshua will see how deeply his parents love Jesus. That Joshua's sense of belonging will come from being part of God's Kingdom and not of this world. Without the true gospel of grace in our lives we are all bound for the doors of Philhaven and the, worse yet, the flames of Hell. Val, praise God we are saved! I hope our boys are saved early on and that they will spur one another on in their walk with Christ!

I love you!
Julie

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous prayer, and what a good comment Julie made! I would also encourage you both to pray for your sons' future wives, that God would be preparing them even in childhood.. I used to do that for you and your sisters, Valerie, and look at the great men you all married!

Love,
Mom aka Graw-maw

Anonymous said...

HI, Val, Shawn, and Joshua. For whatever reason, you guys were put into my head today and I realized we haven't talk in a while. I decided to make a point to check out the website when I got home from work and to much surprise, he is growing into such a big boy already. HE IS SO ADORABLE. I will continue to keep him in my prayers. Can't wait to see you guys soon. Happy Easter! Jessica