Friday, April 13, 2007

Juicy Fruit of the Spirit #8: Gentleness

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Phillipians 4:4-6

When I think of gentleness, I picture a strong man displaying his tender heart to a child. I think of Shawn, who has strength and might but is so sweet-spirited and gentle. I think of Jesus, who could cast out demons and turn over tables in the church, showing compassion to the crowds and allowing children to come to him freely. I picture God as a mighty lion - similar to the Chronicles of Narnia - who is also soft & cuddly with those who love Him.

Please pray today that Joshua would grow to be strong physically, spiritually and emotionally. But, also pray that he would use his strength wisely and would always be gentle with others both in action and word. In 1 Peter 3:15, it says to always be prepared to give an answer for the reason that we have hope but to do so with gentleness and respect. Joshua - and us, too! - has been given many reasons for hope through Jesus, and the Bean has such a powerful testimony. I pray that when he speaks to others about God, he is so gentle and respectful that he wins hearts for Christ.

I hear of women who are abused by their spouses, which I can't even begin to imagine. I didn't grow up with a situation like that, and Shawn wouldn't hurt a fly. I pray that Joshua would take after his dad and show others that abuse is wrong. Most of all, I pray that even when life squeezes him, he would show the juicy fruit of gentleness. Thank you for taking the time to pray for Joshua today!
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:11
The last picture on this post reminds me of the NICU at Lancaster since it was posted on one of the walls "daddy holding premie." One of my sister's friends just gave birth to twins, two boys who are currently in the NICU. I also think of the five babies who were born to the unwed couple and pray for them as well. Blessings to you!

No comments: