Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Easter Egg Coloring Fun

One tradition in my family is to decorate hardboiled eggs for Easter. I remember years of going to church, in beautiful new dresses & bonnets that my mom had sewn, with stained fingers. Easter morning my parents would hide the eggs we had colored all around the house (with a systematic list so they wouldn't forget where any were since that would STINK); and once we found them all, we each hunted for a basket filled with at least one gigantic chocolate bunny and lots of candy and treats. I think it was better than Halloween candy because mom & dad knew what we liked v. pot luck from the neighbors houses. :) It's a wonder when I was five years old and told my mom that I had a belly ache the morning after Easter that she took me to the hospital...but she was smart enough to do so and I had my appendix taken out lickety split! I'm afraid I would have said "no more candy and your belly will feel better!" but mom seemed to be in tune with us enough to know when we were truly sick. Anyway...I digress.

My sister invited me to her house to keep the egg decorating tradition alive. My nieces splished and splashed the colored water and cracked eggs on the table, and I laughed while Jen seemed rather annoyed (I would have probably felt differently if they were my kids, too, but when they're your nieces making a mess at your sister's house...you just giggle.) My mom held & fed Joshua, who didn't seem as interested in watching the scene as I had hoped. Some day he'll get to join in! (Shawn went to the funeral of a friend of his brother's, so he wasn't there.)

My youngest niece wanted to help some of the time...right up until she grabbed the one container of blue-died vinegar water and DRANK it. YUCK! The look on her face was priceless, and she was too quick for any of us to grab it before she could take a sip. Her mouth is stained blue...I'm guessing that's why my sister chose Tuesday instead of Saturday to color her eggs. I laughed and laughed. Ha! Poor Emma Joy! She then played with her plastic car toys & swing set (we were outside) while we finished the decorating fun. Good times! I asked my niece Grace why we celebrate Easter and she said, "Jesus died on the cross." Good job, kiddo! The best part is, though, that he ROSE! Hallelujah!

When we came home, I cut some daffodils (my mom always called them Easter Lillies) and brought them in for my desk. I've been doing a ton of copy jobs, and flowers brighten the room for the Bean - who's currently taking a quick nap - and me. I hope Daddy comes home soon! I miss him!

No comments: