Thursday, February 2, 2012

Feeling the Love :)

Monday, January 23, was the start of the new semester. That morning, I made cinnamon swirl pancakes (can't remember the exact name) using a recipe I found on Pinterest. Instead of just a simple swirl I made these XOXO patterns for the boys. I explained that that means hugs and kisses, because Joshua thought it was tic-tac-toe. Haaa!!!
They each ate one, but we all agreed that they were much too sweet. Daddy, on the other hand, loved them and ate the leftovers for dinner that night while I was at class.
Joshua brought home a sweet new book from the library that I absolutely loved. It was one that I think we should buy some time called "Froggy's First Kiss." We read the book so much, I think we all have it memorized. There was a new girl in Froggy's school that Froggy thought was pretty. She would give him goodies out of her lunch box and then one day she surprised him with a kiss. His belly felt all wiggly inside! He couldn't even eat his lunch. That afternoon while making valentines, he made just one that said "I love you." His friends all teased him (this was Joshua's favorite page). When he went home, "his heart was heavy - Was it love? Was it hunger? Was it his backpack full of valentines?" (I seriously cracked up at this page!) The next morning he served his mom breakfast in bed and gave her the "I love you" Valentine he had made. And she gave him LOTS of kisses - candy kisses.

Such sweetness! We read it over and over and over again throughout the week. The first night we had it, Joshua read it to me. With some help on the tougher words, he read most of it all by himself. I can tell as he reads if he has it memorized (for example, he read the teasing page in the exact voice I used for Froggy's friends teasing him) or the other pages as he's sounding out the words or short choppy voice as he reads small words. I love to hear him read!
When Shawn came home from work that night before I left for class, he gave me these beautiful roses. I was surprised and delighted. I don't deserve such beautiful gifts from my already-incredible husband! As we were driving together later that week, we discussed the price of flowers (particularly at Valentine's Day). I said that we have more important things to buy, I realize, like furniture for the boys' bedroom, etc. His comment to me was that while furniture does last longer than flowers, he's investing in a happy wife and a marriage that lasts a life time. A happy wife is priceless to him, and he's investing for the long-haul. Tears sprang to my eyes at the thoughtfulness of my husband. I'd love him with or without flowers, but being reminded of how much he loves me is truly a gift beyond just flowers. I absolutely adore him, and I'm glad that he's 'in it to win it!' :) :) :)

These surprise roses have lasted weeks. I've never seen them last so long! They have served as a reminder to me of my husband's dedication to our family. The next morning as I asked the boys to tell me what they're thankful for (a common practice at meal times in our household), Joshua said "I'm thankful for Mama's beautiful flowers." Me too, buddy, me too! I loved that this thoughtful gift made his day as well as mine. We worked on Joshua's preschool memory verse this past week, and with the flowers before us, we talked about what it means in Isaiah 1:18 "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow." Love :) :) :)

No comments: